Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parker-Hale oil cans.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parker-Hale oil cans.
    Posted: September 10 2018 at 2:25pm
Afternoon all,
At  a gunshow on Saturday, and a bloke had a box full of oil cans.
He was selling them as Nagant oilers, but they had a valve top I'd seen on English gun oil tins years ago.
Bought 4, and on looking at them when I got home, 2 are marked "Valvespout" on the top, and "Parker-Hale" around the valve top.
Underneath they are marked "Bisley" and" AGA", & "made in England" 
Can't find anything about them on -line.  They're flat, roughly 2  1/2" square, maybe 3/4" wide or a bit more, and have the valve spout in one corner.  One has a thick dull red stripe painted around centre, top to bottom.
Any ideas if these were issued oilers?

The two plain ones work the same, are same size exactly, but no markings.  all are a gold colour.

BTW, same bloke had  a big box Full of NOS No 4 magazines, $50 Canadian each, or 2 for $80.00
Also a pile of mag. followers, forget price but all unused and greased up.

Any help appreciated!

Richard.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 3:51pm
"Valvespout" was a brand! They were nice IIRC.

Maybe the red stripe denoted cleaner or lube, does either of them smell kike a mixture of disinfectant & Creosote?

There was a very popular cleaner called "Young's .303", but many used it as both a cleaner (diluted with water) & an oil (Undiluted) which it wasn't. Maybe the stripe denoted which was which?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2018 at 5:32pm
Sham,

I lost me sense of smell with a sinus op. so no clue on smell, but I remember Young's .303 oil well enough and used lots back home.
I'll ask someone whose sniffer works about difference in smell.
If you want any of these tins, I can contact him.   he had  a box full.

'Nother thing Sham, the AGA mark: is that the same company that made the AGA cooker?
If so, were these oilers war -time production?  and why Bisley marking?

Search turned up nothing.

Thanks again!
R.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2018 at 7:03am
Like this?

AGA was another gun maker at Bisley, they made single shot falling block .22 match rifles among other things!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2018 at 7:52pm
Shamu,

Yes the second offering is exactly like these, only  gold paint on these.  The stamoing is A.G.P, not A.G.A  as I first thought.
I found the following, from an old thread by Muffet;

The stamp reads BISLEY WORKS AGP
This is the stamp of Alfred G. Parker, son of Alfred Gray Parker and father of Alfred J. Parker and was used from 1913 until 1930 when the company name changed to Parker Hale, recognising the influence of the Hale family in the company. A.T.C. Hale being a nephew of A.G. Parker and they gradually took over the running of the business.
It was a falling out over this  that saw A.J. Parker break away and form his own business in 1928.

Only question remaining is where did the bloke at the gunshow get a box full of them from?
Hhe probably had at least a hundred.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 6:11am
"A.G. Parker" was the "Parker" in "Parker-Hale"!

I guess you got the close out from when P-H folded?

Whats he asking for them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 6:41am
Sham,
I too was wondering if he'd got some of the close down stuff from P-H, as there doesn't seem to have been any oil in these. The unmarked ones have been used, going by what I got.

I should have checked the L-E mags as well, and the pile of mag followers.   It has me thinking along your lines.

He was asking $5.00 each.  If you want a couple, I can see if I can find him, but as he has another unrelated business, he only goes to gunshows when he has time & I've not seen him before anywhere.

Richard.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 8:26am
Maybe (just a guess) they were "shoved in a box in the back room" because they had the AJP, not the P-H markings?
A.J.P. weren't at Bisley. But P-H was, so I guess they were remarked later on?
There was some acrimony during the change to P-H IIRC.

I'll take a couple for that price!
Keep me informed, please.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 1:20pm
Sham,

Bisley was the works of AGP, and later of P-Hale.

Address was;
 A.G. Parker & Co Ltd,
Bisley Works,
Wittall St.
Birmingham.

(Same address later for P-H.)

I'll see if I can find the bloke and keep you posted.

Best,
R.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 2:03pm
Thanks!
Hmm, "Moichandising!, moichandising!"
Wink
Bisley Camp is a long walk from "Brum"!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2018 at 6:40pm
nice cans - i dont say that to all the girls either , just sos you know , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 6:45am
Oh they are! They really do not leak, unlike most modern plastic flip top ones do. They also   have this odd 'Poink" noise when you squeeze them to get a drop of oil out.
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Thanks!
Hmm, "Moichandising!, moichandising!"
Wink
Bisley Camp is a long walk from "Brum"!

In the old days there was no need to walk as Bisley Camp had it's own railway station. In fact the Bisley end of the line still has a train on it although it is now used as a Club HQ for the Lloyds Rifle Club.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2018 at 8:55am
I used to drive over from Bristol to shoot there. Then when I worked in Haslemere then the trip was way shorter!
jda0144 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jda0144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2019 at 12:59pm
I just bought a Valvespout oiler like you describe.  It has Parker-Hale text on the label and is in great shape.  I've never seen one before and can't find any information about it.  Was anyone able to determine when they were made or their value?
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2019 at 5:55pm
when I was in Blighty..Frank drove me past Bisley on our way elsewhere..he doesn't live all that far from it.
Loose wimmen tightened here
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic