Need help with my longbranch no4 mk1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with my longbranch no4 mk1
    Posted: October 08 2018 at 7:24am
Really easy to do.

Undo screw holding spring to receiver wrist.
Lift spring off & away.
Pull safety lever & safety catch out from receiver.
NOTE POSITION of catch on lever multi-start thread when screwed fully IN.
reassemble multi start thread as shown above.
Insert lever & catch into receiver.
Replace spring.
Replace & tighten bolt.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Pappy3122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappy3122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 6:56pm
Sorry its mark 1*, posting on phone pain in butt. Plan on taking safety apart. Any good videos out there on how to do it?
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 5:47pm
do tell - is it really a mkI - there were only a few made , or is it a mkI* ?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 9:09am
This is the correct orientation on the multi-start thread for the safety catch & lever when screwed in fully.
(No1 shown but No4 is the same)

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2018 at 7:24am
Pukka. I purposely re-indexed the safety catch one thread off on mine for curiosity. It brought about the same issue as described. Good thought on the fix to the issue there.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 6:13pm
Pappy,

Take safety apart and put it back together in the right position.  It's likely been put together a thread out.

Richard.
Pappy3122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappy3122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 3:44pm
Well Def something in safety. I backed off the saftry screw a few turns and it almost completely goes away
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 9:58am
Check the sear isn't stuck or binding inside the woodwork as well.
Remove the bolt look down into the raceway & press & release the trigger several times. Youn should see the upper bent rise & drop fully.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 7:16am
Here’s what it should look like, first pic is safety in the forward fire position, second is in the rear safe position.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 7:05am
Originally posted by Pukka Bundook Pukka Bundook wrote:

Brit,

Could it be possible for this problem to occur if the safety was installed miss-aligned?  As in, just binding on the cocking piece?

Yes, I think that is possible. Remove the bolt and with the safety fully forward, make sure it is retracted below flush with the back of the receiver at both locations where the safety catch protrudes on the left side of the bolt track engaging the slot on the back of the bolt and the locking bolt that rotates up to engage with the bottom left side if the cocking piece.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 6:31am
Brit,

Could it be possible for this problem to occur if the safety was installed miss-aligned?  As in, just binding on the cocking piece?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 5:25am
I wouldn’t force it. How far does the bolt rotate when you feel resistance? Some “clicking” is normal when drawing the bolt back after releasing the striker as the cocking piece rides over the sear half cock and full cock positions.

With the bolt removed, can you rotate the cocking piece freely in the bolt cam groove? Definitely something wrong here, I would disassemble and check everything until you find the problem. Someone should come along here that may know exactly what it is. If your lucky, it is the magazine, but I can’t see how it would prevent the bolt from rotating when locked up.

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2018 at 4:07am
Could be the lip of the magazine. Try removing the magazine and cycling. I had this happen to me.
Pappy3122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappy3122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2018 at 10:33pm
I just got a long branch no4 mk1. It is in pristine shape but I am having one issue. When I cock the bolt it locks up fine, but if I try and lift the bolt hand to rack it, it gets caught on something and I have to use a fair amount of force to unlock the bolt. It makes a clicking noise near the safety and you can see the actual clocking handle seem to catch on something. I have not put any rounds in it and it dry fires fire but gets hung up trying to cycle the bolt. It seems worse when the rifle is uncocked then clocked. Any ideas

Thank you all
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic