Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

...aaaannndd he's at it again update!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ...aaaannndd he's at it again update!!!
    Posted: October 18 2018 at 9:09pm
I received the mount today. Starting the process of drilling and tapping screw holes. One down,four to go. The collimation process looks like this one will be no issues...
Dave5O View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave5O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 9:30am
Where did you get the mount? How difficult was it to mount the pads?
Thanks
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Dave5O Dave5O wrote:

Where did you get the mount? How difficult was it to mount the pads?
Thanks

I found a place called Accumounts. The mount and pads including the correct screws will set you back $150.00 USD. The physical act of mounting the pads is not for the faint of heart. Drilling five small holes and one big hole and then tapping all five without snapping a tap off in a hole is your biggest concern to start with. I do not have the scope yet so the next step in the process is a little difficult. You have to collimate the bracket to the rifle centerline of the bore. You need the scope to assist with the collimation process but without it for the time being you can set a baseline. It takes alot of time and alot of patience to do this setup. Getting a professional gunsmith with a working knowledge of mounting a reproduction scope mount to a No4Mk1 correctly is my advice to you. If they screw the pooch on their end,they owe you a replacement rifle. If you screw up? Well,you at least the rifle is lighter with six holes drilled into the receiver. I know the name of one individual who does the conversion,Brian d**k. Some other forum members may know the other guys names. I finished the main part. Just waiting on the scope now...
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 10:55am
This is the hardest part to setup. The collimation of the bracket. Look at where the front sight is located in the first photo in conjunction with the scope rings.
Now,look at the front sight after many hours of fitting the bracket to the pads and the pads to the receiver.
I have read every article by Captain Peter Laidler on this subject so I am not gun shy about doing this any longer. My personal advice to anyone wanting to do this on their own. Make a cup of coffee,put three capfulls of whisky in it,sit down somewhere comfortable,turn on the TV and watch something of interest to you until that wanting goes away...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 11:20am
Way, way, way above my skill level. Nice job!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 1:19pm
EXCELLENT!

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 2:03pm
I'm thinking that a 'practice' barreled action that may be otherwise junk may find itself useful again?
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2018 at 3:57pm
Definitely,as long as it is junked beyond repair. This is the third time I have drilled holes into the side of a working No4Mk1 and let me tell you now, between the very first time and this third time around the scared sh!#!3$$ sensation is exactly the same.
Oldhand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldhand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 7:43am
Great jobas usual.
Retired USAF, NRA life member
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 8:53am
Possibly daft thought.
If you have a spare scope can't you center the cross hairs & use that as a substitute for the final with the actual scope?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 10:55am
The spare scope I have came from China. RSM,and what a shocker,it won't fit inside the saddles. My scope showed up today. I will post photos of the complete rifle here in a bit.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 3:44pm
Thumbs Up
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 4:55am
I would love to do this project, but frankly I’m too scared to. All 3 of my No. 4s are in excellent shape and shoot superbly. I’m too afraid of ruining a good receiver.

Goosic, you do excellent work and I’m anxiously waiting to see how it works for you. Which of the repro scopes do you prefer? I wished someone made a Mk III repro. I don’t recall, does the Mk II have one MOA clicks?
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 7:42am
I do not know who makes the scopes but I know Numrich sells them. The mounting bracket is of quality materials as well. I believe the scopes are 1/2"MOA clicks, zeroed to 300 yards. The one being used now is the No32Mk1 with a sunshade.

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 8:10am
A company called RSM (I think they are made in China) has repo No32 Mk32 scope/mount (doesn't look like pads included) on Amazon.ca for $672.88 CAD delivered to your Canadian door. I checked and Numrich won't ship there version to Canada. This RSM offering has good reviews. Buying one would be the easy part. Me installing? Fuggetaboutit!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2018 at 8:22am
I myself would suggest staying completely away from a RSM repro scope. I have one and fortunately I did not have to pay anything for it. I went to use it to collimate this last project and the scope would not fit in the saddles of the bracket. I even wire wheeled the paint off of the scope and after that measurements came out to 1.0753 on the tube. They are of poor quality and craftsmanship.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic