Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

got gun from grandpa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: got gun from grandpa
    Posted: August 30 2008 at 12:27am
 HI guys thought you might be able to help me. Igot a rifle it came from my grandpa and he is gone now. what I have says ENFIELD 1918, under that it has S nt with a line under it and NT, and under that IIIwith a star after that.   other markings ENGLAND on other side of triger and in front of bolt 2310,    it has alonger barrel. is this a 303 im sorry i dont know much about ENFIELDS  THANK YOU
Sponsored Links

ND hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 12:28am
SORRY it was S nt with a line under it and LE
Stnwll2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stnwll2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 3:38am
Show us pictures!!

Based on your info, it's an SMLE Mk III* made by Enfield in 1918.

SMLE = Short, Magazine, Lee Enfield = Sht LE III*
BTW. The rifle itself was referred to as Short not a reference to a short magazine.

The '*' is read as 'star'. Mark III 'star'. That means the original rifle specification had been changed a bit by the elimination of a magazine cut off (a plate the slides into the receiver to cap off the magazine, keeping the 10 rounds in it from feeding) and the deletion of the long range volley sights. This simplification of the production process sped up manufacture during WWI.

2310 is probably the serial number. Is there a letter near the number? Is the number repeated elsewhere on the rifle?

Did I mention .... show us pictures!!!

Stnwll2
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
ND hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 3:45am
yes the #is repeated in other spots I think there is a # 1 on top of the2310 but the stock does not goe all the way out to end of barrel
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2008 at 10:03am
It is a No1 Mk3 (could be a * after Mk111) the forend has been shortened to sporter length. This could be put back to original configuration pretty easily if no metal has been cut.
Is the serial number 2310 repeated on the rear of the bolt handle? If so then it has a matching bolt which is good.
The basic difference between a Mk111 and Mk111* is that the * has had the long range volley sights and the magazine cutoff deleted(removed).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic