Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Open Sights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickG55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Open Sights
    Posted: July 05 2010 at 10:07am
I'm planning on using my #4 MKI for whitetails this fall, so obviously I'm going to get some range time in first.  But the sights are interesting.  Flipped down, the aperature is huge; flipped up, it's a lot smaller, but you clearly lose a lot as far as seeing your target.  I know the dial is to adjust for distance, but what is the range at its lowest point?  Also, the dial on my rifle is almost impossible to turn and I'm not going to force it, so it looks like it stays there.
Sponsored Links

hoadie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 11:32am
Every picture tells a story,dont it?
I use nothing but Enfield for moose & deer.
Give us a pic if you can.Info will flow freely
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 12:50pm
All it takes is some practice which equates range time which equates Big smile
RickG55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickG55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 4:57pm
I keep forgetting the pic lol.  I'll try and take some later this week.  On a side note, as I was surfing around looking for Enfield info (there appears to be volumes) I came across numerous sporterized rifles, some of which were turned into scout rifles, a concept I always liked.  I thought about doing that with my Enfield, but then I learned about something called 'bubba-izing', which is apparently not only bad in and of itself, but will result in the bubba-izer being castigated and scorned.  Also, apparently, the only forgiveable act of bubba-izing is one in which you take a mangled Enfield and bubba-ize up, rescuing it from a lower form of bubba-izing.

I need a drink...
Shamu View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2010 at 10:07pm
The sight apertures on the 300 yd battle sight vary a lot, depending on the maker, you could find one with a smaller aperture & swap them very easily.

You mean the dial with the serrated edge on top of the sight?
Try a little penetrating oil on the knob, where the screw shaft passes through the cross piece, the point in the slide where it passes through the recessed round bearing, & the bottom where the screw shaft goes into the base.

It is click-stopped so it might take a while to penetrate everywhere.

4 clicks down form "2" is 100 yds & each click is 25 yds BTW.
PitBull, spawn of Rottie!
RickG55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickG55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2010 at 8:16am
Okay, let's try this--here are some pics of both Enfields.  One is clearly the #4 MKI, but I have no clue what the other is.

http://s803.photobucket.com/albums/yy314/RickG55/Enfields/
RickG55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickG55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2010 at 8:52pm
After some more research and some feedback in another forum, it appears that the other Enfield is a #1 MKIII.  Which one is more suited for northeastern whitetail hunting (and yes, I'll be removing the bayonet)?
Target View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2010 at 2:39pm
well since they are fairly similar rifles its what ever one you are more comfortable with. Just Practice up with the No4 then get out there.

The barrel lengths are nearly the same and they fire the same round so theres not much of a difference there. If both the rifles are in good shape they should perform pretty close to each other.
Huntermb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huntermb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2010 at 2:24am
I grew up hunting with a No.1 MkIII and never thought it was a problem, I use both now and to me they are really one and the same.
Smokey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2010 at 11:07pm
Suggest you try both at the range. Then use the one that seems to feel better in your hands.
Also you can try the following at home:
Insure the rifle is unloaded and cleared.
Try some "snap alignment".
See which rifle better comes to the shoulder with the sights somewhat aligned.

Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2010 at 11:38pm
Smokey excellent idea
Shamu View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2010 at 4:14am
JM2C but I'd go with the #4 because I like the sight much better, specially in woody terrain.Lamp
Did you get your #4's sight fixed?
If you did then you can put a bit of tape over the big 'ole & then punch a smaller on in it to hunt with.LOL

"yes, I'll be removing the bayonet"
That will change the zero, remove pig sticker first sight in second.Party
PitBull, spawn of Rottie!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic