Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My No5 MK1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhjfdf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My No5 MK1
    Posted: December 22 2010 at 4:40pm
I bought my Jungle Carbine 2 days ago. I never owned a Enfield before so everything is pretty new to me.

I want to know in which year it was produced and who produced it.

On the site http://www.enfieldrifles.ca/in2.htm it says "No5 were only produced by BSA Shirley and ROF Fazakerley, serials began with a B at the Shirley plant and an F at the Fazakerley factory." but my Enfield starts with an A (A4163).
On the left side the metal(at the cartridge chamber) is marked with 303 Brit and above of that there are 2 symbols +2 numbers and 2 letter the first looks like a shield with something in it and a little N under it the second one is a shield with a roughened texture and then the numbers and letter are 10IE.  I cant take photos of it with my camera its to blurred every time.

On the Top of the cartridge chamber ther is a little arrow -> pointing to the shooter

I hope that someone can help me.  Thanks in advantage

And i hope my "english" wasnt too bad.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2010 at 10:00pm
The serial numbers started with the letters you mention, but were later changed. My Fazakerley built #4 serial # starts with an "A" as well so I guess your #5 is a Faz as well.
Could the numbers & letters under a shield be the letters "BNP" under a picture of a crown? That would be a commercial proof mark. (Birmingham Nitro Proof) If so there should also be a reference to a pressure in tons per square inch, IIRC 18.5.

How big is the arrow? Is there a "U" round it?
If the arrow is small & alone it is probably a MOD "Broad Arrow" proof mark, frequently called a "crows foot, or bird's foot", because that is what it resembles. If the arrow is longer & finer & there is a "U" surrounding it that is a South African acceptance/ownership mark, meaning your rifle was in service in South Africa at some point.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Beerhunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2010 at 10:53pm
The serial number of your rifle indicates that it is early (1944) Fazackerly production.  (Right after the initial FE series.)

The left side of the receiver body should be marked: No.5 Mk1 ROF(F) X/44 (Where X is the month of production.)  but as these makings were electro pencilled rather faintly, they are often difficult to see.  The serial number was there as well but in your case has been retrospectively stamped on the wrist.  (This was common practice.)

The transverse screw through the woodwork forward of the receiver means that your carbine has been reworked at some point in the past at the Indian Rifle Factory, Ishapore (RFI).

The site that you quote is incorrect in that it doesn't tell the whole story about the serial numbers.  Only the first batch of Fazackerly production started with an F and it was FE not just F on its own.
jhjfdf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhjfdf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 12:58am
The arrow is really small and there isnt a U around it. And its only a single N
I will get a better camera and make pictures of the receiver but there arent markings like you mentioned...i had seen these markings on the internet but my No5 dont have it.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 3:52am
the no5 rifles were only produced by BSA [assigned BB thru BM] and FAZ [assigned single letters & AA]

prduced 81,300 at BSA [from BB , BD , BE , BF , BG , BJ & BK ] 1945-1947 and  170,000 at FAZ [from A to Z & AA to AC ] 1944-47 , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 5:52am
Did you check all  the markings sections on the other Enfield rifles site, there are several pages broken up by type of marking? Without pics leafing through the tabs on there is probably your best bet.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Beerhunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beerhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

FAZ [assigned single letters & AA]

Plus the FE prefix used in February and March of 1944.  (As I said in my earlier post.)
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cookie Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 10:58pm
The BNP also tells you it was proofed after 1954. NP was the Birmingham Nitro Proof between 1912 and 1954, Both under a crown
mauser98nut View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mauser98nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 9:09am
Welcome!This is a good forum so you have no worries here-ask away!Looks like a good buy.Being your first is a No 5 you will expect more recoil then the other versions but nothing unmanageable!Good luck with your new toy!
jhjfdf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhjfdf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2010 at 5:13am

I was on the range with it.
This were my best 5 shots.
I was shooting at 100 Meters, sitting and the weapon on a clip-on bipod at the table
Ammunition was .303 brit from PMP Denel

And i really love that rifle...it has no date markings on it but who cares when it shoots like that :D

Some friend told me the markings on the side were from the bullet-office( dont know the english name, its were you bring the gun and they shoot it an say that they are safe to use) in the german city Ulm.
And the marking on the top is the crowfeet
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2010 at 5:22am
We'd call that the "Ulm Proof House".
PMP (Pretoria Metal Pressings) is South African manufacture, excellent quality stuff.
BoltGunBarron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoltGunBarron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2022 at 3:04pm
The Problem: Enfield Rifles were closely monitored and recorded during manufacture. For every 999 Jungle Carbines the letter was graduated (1-999 A, 1000-1999B etc.) This is possibly the case BUT you MAY have simply misspoke stating that your serial started with an "F". You may be referring not to the SN but the left side receiver markings that should read No 5 Mk I ROF(F) or No5 MkI BSA(S) for the only two legitimate builders at Royal Ordinance Factory Fazakerley or British Small Arms, Shirly, I took the time today and I have found at least 20 unique marks over nearly every machined peice and stock, eithr letters and numbers or stamped Proof Marks. Check the bottom of your magazine for a matching serial. Because the other option is that you got a fake, a bastardized No.4 Rifle. Or JUST MAYBE, you've gotten an Austrailian or Indian build which would be most rare indeed. Savage also made Enfields but idk the markings.  Pictures would be wonderful and Google Lee-Enfield No.5 MkI Markings Guide will help tremendously.  Also don't assume the bolt or flash hider number is a different serial, these things are covered with markings from every person that built or proofed every single part at every individual factory and rear sights, front site pins, extractors, bold heads, and other small parts are marked. You should see a lot of "V" markings. This is the famous upside down V or Arrow that indicates something as property of the british empire.  I'm an enfield builder and historian so please let me know if you have pictures and I'll be able to explain them all and provide the links to sources and a PDF of an Enfield book that's incredible better and more expansive than Ian Skinnerton's work.This is the Book for FREE! It includes a glossary of all symbols and details on every marking of every enfield along with their entire story.
https://stephentaylorhistorian.files.wordpress.com/2020/02/the-lee-enfield-rifle-egb-reynolds-1962.pdf
Ethan RoltGunBarron Robert
BoltGunBarron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoltGunBarron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2022 at 10:45am
Yours is the 5,163rd Fazakerly No.5. Each letter of the alphabet designated a batch of 10,000 rifles.  There was an initial production of 1,000 Fazakerly Einfields numbered from FE1-FE1000 before starting general production of the first 10,000 using the letter A for carbines A1-A9999 before AA then AB etc.  

This book will help you with all the proof marks and anything you could ever be asked in these forums.
http://https://stephentaylorhistorian.files.wordpress.com/2020/02/the-lee-enfield-rifle-egb-reynolds-1962.pdf
Ethan RoltGunBarron Robert
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2022 at 5:04pm
Both of those links give a 505 error.
Great info I'm sure, but do you have a current link to them for the "links" page?
Dradzk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dradzk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2022 at 5:59am
The reason for the error is that the links have http://https at the beginning. Copy them from the back till you get to the https and paste it into your browser. After trying that they worked for me.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2022 at 4:09pm
whats up with the NO WAR photos ? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic