Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Australian International Arms M10 No.4 mk.IV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dukeoflawnchair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Australian International Arms M10 No.4 mk.IV
    Posted: September 22 2006 at 4:52am

So this "modern" version of the SMLE No4 Mk1 is being manufactured.  Anyone familiar with this?  My first impression is that it's an abomination with a magazine as ugly as all hell, but maybe its performance merits its lacking in esthetics...

Defend your right to arm bears!

Do you know what the chain of command is? It's a chain that I beat you with if you don't do what I say...
Sponsored Links

White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 6:08am
I like what i see! might have to see if i can get one down here in the Swamp. and if you think that Mag. is ugly you should see the one on my Ishy, kinda brings to mind when i look at it of one of them womens attitude pads. with wingsLOL and to top it off its gobed with black paint.
I just put some new old wood on one of my No4 MK1, i had one with light wood and the comb was busted. so i found this deal for a compleat stock set that matched, with early gooves in rear hand gaurd. it looks great.
now i have 5 in enfields in great condition and two that need work, might be my first project when i get my gun room built. man i need to get started on that. shoulda been stashing 2x4s while working on other projects around the house.
                         The "White Rhino"
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
shotgunminister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shotgunminister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 6:10am
The general oppinion of them is not very high. I personaly have not heard very many good things about them.
I've seen the future and I don't like it.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 6:15am
OOPHF!! Just tear my eyes out! it looks good to me, but SGM what have you heard that was so bad, come on guys ya know I dont get any news on Enfields down here, what are the bad points?
                                                                            The "White Rhino"
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Lithgow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lithgow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 7:50am

I believe that the 7.62x39 can be a bit hit and miss with regards to feeding from the mag but have not heard bad reports with other cals.

Apart from that I believe they are ok but expensive.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 7:55am
Typo Lithgow, 7.62x51 NATO  or did imiss some thing??
 I do have some feeding problems with my spanish mauser chamberd for 7.62x51mm but its with soft points. so i use ballistic tips when hunting with it. other than that i use FMJ.
                                         The "White Rhino"
"White Rhino"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shotgunminister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 7:56am
Jonsered View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonsered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 8:12am

why cant they make something new like that in the .303 caliber like it was in the first place, everything is in 308 now it seems

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 8:13am
Shotgunminister,  Oh man! I guess i have to spit that candy out,and right in front the parents. it all looked good on the counter. Well even Liver looks good.Embarrassed
                       The White Rhino
 P.S. sorry lithgow i thaught it was a typo.
"White Rhino"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shotgunminister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Jonsered Jonsered wrote:

why cant they make something new like that in the .303 caliber like it was in the first place, everything is in 308 now it seems

I still have half a notion to get me a FFL and start producing new manufacture Enfield No.4 rifles.  I'd chamber them for 30-30.  It would take very little modification to the design.  The .303 British is a hard sell in these parts.  I'd offer it as an option though. 
hoadie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 3:25pm
Why is everyone so goofy about changing the caliber? I don't understand.What seems to be everyone's problem with the .303 cartridge(other than the fact it isnt American)? It is certainly powerful enough to make short work of ANYTHING you can hunt on THIS contenent.In the commonwealth countries, parts & ammo is plentiful & resonable. In most applications - its certainly accurate.So am I missing something here?
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shotgunminister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Why is everyone so goofy about changing the caliber? I don't understand.What seems to be everyone's problem with the .303 cartridge(other than the fact it isnt American)? It is certainly powerful enough to make short work of ANYTHING you can hunt on THIS contenent.In the commonwealth countries, parts & ammo is plentiful & resonable. In most applications - its certainly accurate.So am I missing something here?
Hoadie

Market demand.  The demand for the .303 is quite small.  as evidenced by the fact that in most retail stores .303 is special order. As in not regularly stocked.
hoadie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2006 at 11:44pm
Its not special order in the commonwealth countries..In fact it's most common. So - its as I thought..the old American mantra; N.I.H. still rules the day.
Even @ Wal Mart here, theres 2 (or three depending on the store) brands of .303 Usually Federal, Remington & Winchester. Most common wieghts are 180 followed by 150.
I note that every Bass pro shop I've been in stateside carries .303.
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2006 at 12:14am
Hoadie, i think he was talking about the Rifle not the ammo,its like that down here,30-06,.270, 7mm Mag., even a .300 Mag, but you dont see a brand new Ruger,Winchester,H&R, Rossie, New England Firearms...
 Nothing chamberd in .303 You can find the Ammo, Only because of People like me who have asked for it and bought it for the milsurp rifles.
                                                               The" White Rhino"
"White Rhino"

#4Mk1(T) View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote #4Mk1(T) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2006 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by shotgunminister shotgunminister wrote:

I still have half a notion to get me a FFL and start producing new manufacture Enfield No.4 rifles.  I'd chamber them for 30-30.  It would take very little modification to the design.  The .303 British is a hard sell in these parts.  I'd offer it as an option though. 

I guess 30-30 would be quite common and reasonably cheep not to mention youíd be able to get a few more in the magazine but itís a bit under powered though. How about 30-40 Krag? Is this still reasonably common down your way? Itís about the same size and operates at close to the same pressure. As stated earlier, up here in Canada it doesnít make any difference. 303? 308? Whatever. Only advantage I can see is reloading. More 308 bullets to pick from.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shotgunminister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2006 at 5:04am
Originally posted by #4Mk1(T) #4Mk1(T) wrote:

Originally posted by shotgunminister shotgunminister wrote:

I guess 30-30 would be quite common and reasonably cheep not to mention youíd be able to get a few more in the magazine but itís a bit under powered though. How about 30-40 Krag? Is this still reasonably common down your way? Itís about the same size and operates at close to the same pressure. As stated earlier, up here in Canada it doesnít make any difference. 303? 308? Whatever. Only advantage I can see is reloading. More 308 bullets to pick from.

30-40 Krag is harder to find then .303 British.  I am starting to like the .303.  However shells are hard to find.  Now I mail order my shells and I can get them for a reasonable price. (about the same as 30-06 is in the store)  But there are quite a number of people in my local who for whatever reason refuse to mail order ammo.  The 30-30 Win. is a caliber that at best can be described as "OK" and nothing worth writing home about.  However what it does have going for it is that next to the 30-06 and the 270 ammo is everywhere. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic