Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Hunting with the .303 British cartridge.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats the best ammo company for deer hutning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnfieldNut82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats the best ammo company for deer hutning
    Posted: January 30 2013 at 8:31am
Hi everyone
I want to go deer hunting this year and I was wondering what peoples opinions are about different ammo companies soft points for deer? I am not really fond of wolf, anyone got any suggestions
All opinions are greatly appreciated
Thanks
Scott
Sponsored Links

Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 9:28am
I use Federal Powershocks, 150 grain soft point. Reliable, shoot flat and get the job done no problem.
llaszloboehm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llaszloboehm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 5:09pm
Hi !

on red deer here in Germany, I use 180 grains round nose Remington Core lockt High Speed factory ammo in my five groove Parker hale Mk4No1. On roe deer also 150 grains Sellier&Bellot factory ammo or handloaded 180 grains Sierra Pro Hunter to 700 m/s that is approx 22oo feet/s in my two groove Mk4No1* Long Branch. Both work verry good.

flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2013 at 7:53pm
Load your own, it's cheap and easy if you buy a Lee Loader and a small rubber mallet.Then you can have any weight of head you like. I find that 125gr Sierra SP Spitzers are effective, flat shooting and they're big enough for all deer in the UK.
Life is full of possibilities, 50% of them are likely to good....
303Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 6:41am
flanker,   how accurate are those 125's?  What velocity are you driving them at?  I have two two-groove that might like them.
303Guy
ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 3:22pm

I am liking the Herters brand from Cabelas. 180gr made by S&B. Quite accurate in my rifle.
And < $20 a box
Pro Deo et Patria
flanker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flanker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2013 at 8:03am
Originally posted by 303Guy 303Guy wrote:

flanker,   how accurate are those 125's?  What velocity are you driving them at?  I have two two-groove that might like them.

I can get a 3 inch group at 100m, sorry don't know the velocity - at 100m deer fall down tho' Smile
Life is full of possibilities, 50% of them are likely to good....
mrbungle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrbungle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2013 at 11:52pm
the 180 grain remington lock core's rock.....
"once more into the breach, my dear friends."
BrassMagnet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrassMagnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 11:41am
Originally posted by flanker flanker wrote:

I can get a 3 inch group at 100m, sorry don't know the velocity - at 100m deer fall down tho' Smile

Wow! S&B with the Hornady name on the box costs a lot more! I got mine from the CMP.
BrassMagnet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrassMagnet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 11:48am
Originally posted by BrassMagnet BrassMagnet wrote:

Wow! S&B with the Hornady name on the box costs a lot more! I got mine from the CMP.

Somehow, I quoted the wrong post!

So I'll try it again with a little judicious editing!

"I am liking the Herters brand from Cabelas. 180gr made by S&B. Quite accurate in my rifle.
And < $20 a box"

By the way, 3" at 100 meters (300+ yards!) is pretty nice accuracy and more than good enough to harvest any deer with one shot.

ikesdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ikesdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2013 at 12:04pm
BM, are Front Range or Western Slope ?
Pro Deo et Patria
2 Dogs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2 Dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 3:02pm
      All of the currently loaded commercial ammo will perform well on deer ( I assume you don't handload ) I'd suggest you try out as many brands, and wieghts, as you can find.  When you find a loading that groups the best, stick with that. I've taken game with most brands of 303 Brit ammo and I've always had good performance with the Winchester 180 gr ppsp's, but to be honest, any of them have very similiar terminal performance.

Good Luck 2 Dogs
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2013 at 8:21pm
Just a note!
(By the way, 3" at 100 meters (300+ yards!)
100 metres is closer to 110 yards, not 300Wink
If I could get a 3" group at 300 yards I'd be well happy!!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
EnfieldHunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnfieldHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 12:27pm
I've tried several and I prefer hand loaded 174 gr Hornaday round nose bullets

They make really big holes in deer and always penetrate

180 gr Remington gold box work if the feed in your rifle.

Something about that bullet hangs up on my feed ramp

Never a problem with the Hornaday

Detroit-1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroit-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2013 at 6:12am
Enfieldhunter where about in Wi. do you hunt? I have a cabin in the NE Wi.?
Frenchieboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenchieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2013 at 4:22pm

Load your own, it's cheap and easy if you buy a Lee Loader and a small rubber mallet.Then you can have any weight of head you like. I find that 125gr Sierra SP Spitzers are effective, flat shooting and they're big enough for all deer in the UK.
I was thinking about loading with the Sierra 125g softpoints but was told that they might start to tumble if I tried to crank the velocity up a little. What sort of velocities are you getting and have you tried any sort of comparison between the 125g and the 150g Sierra heads please.
Like you I also want the Lee Enfield (predomoinatly) for the main species of "larger"deer that I come across in my part of the UK (Roe, Fallow, Red and Sika) - For any Munties or CWD my .222 will do the job nicely!
Wounding is not an option!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic