Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1953 Lithgow SMLE III info needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 728shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1953 Lithgow SMLE III info needed
    Posted: March 18 2013 at 10:00am
Need some background info on a Lithgow SMLE III I recently acquired.  As stated in the heading, it's a Lithgow SMLE III, dated 1953 on the receiver, and has a s/n F398xx.  It's in very good+ condition, all numbers match, no rust anywhere, bore is a bit dark but with strong rifling.  Had someone tell me that this was the last year they made the No1 MkIII SMLE in Australia.  If so, does that make it any more valuable?  Also, what would be the value of this rifle, given the description?

"Never put off till tomorrow what can do day after tomorrow just as well....." --M.Twain
Sponsored Links

mtbikerwvu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtbikerwvu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2013 at 4:57am
Around here it would be about $250 to $350, more with a bayo and sling.  Just my opinion but war years production is the most intersting but have seen the interwar period SMLEs fetch a premium.
5thBatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5thBatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 5:32am
Homer will be along soon & he will fill you in on the 1953 Lithgows but if I could find one, I would certainly pay more than US$350 for it.
muffett.2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 5:11pm
I'd pay four figures.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 11:21pm
that is the first lithgow in that later dates ive seen , looks to be a beauty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 5:15am

As there were only 1000 made in a special one off run, this rifle is as equally rare as the first models.

Contact me if you wish to sell it.
MaxP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MaxP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2013 at 8:18pm
Hmmmm. I think the variety of opinions here might just show how valuable a book is. If someone offered that rifle to me for $250 to $350, I'd tie them up stick them in the boot of the car and drive to the bank to get the money LOL

I have only seen a couple in the flesh, and I understand the good ones are far outnumbered by the ones bubba has already had a play with. Yes, complete rifle, a grand any day of the week.  And that looks like a beauty! Concur with comments above, it's one of 1000 and a treasured addition to any collection.

Maybe time to buy a book and read it, twice.

Can't stress that enough.  Only need to make one wrong deal to have paid for several books...

MaxP
728shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 728shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 12:50pm

Thanks for all the info on this rifle.  It appears to be all original, a few minor dings and dents in the wood here and there, but everything else is very nice.  Will try to send a few more pics:

"Never put off till tomorrow what can do day after tomorrow just as well....." --M.Twain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muffett.2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2013 at 6:03pm
I do have to say though, it looks totally out of place where it is.
 I would give serious thought to swapping it to me for a wad of very usefulWink cash.
728shooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 728shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2013 at 10:18am
Have not considered selling it at this time, however, no telling what the future may bring.  Have noticed a few responses from our friends "Down Under" as we say, not sure what all difficulties would be involved in selling and shipping a firearm Internationally.  If anyone from Australia or NZ has had experience in this, I'd like to know.

Thanks,  --728shooter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic