Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scoping your Enfield

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyHill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scoping your Enfield
    Posted: May 31 2013 at 2:51pm
 I built a stock for my #1 Mk III.  It fits me like a glove with a raised cheek piece and shoots very well with the battle sights.  My problem is I can't get it to shoot any better with a scope mounted on it than I can shoot with the iron sights. I can't seem to get lined up behind the scope consistently like I can with all my other rifles. I had the same issue with one other rifle when I tried see through mounts. I got that rifle to shoot good for me when I went back to low mounts like I'd been familiar with.  I don't like the looks of the military sniper style stocks with a the very high cheek pad. I think they ruin the looks of the rifle.  I'm very happy with the way mine looks now and have no intention of changing it. I was just wondering if there was a way to get a scope to work on these old battle rifles without making the gun uglier than a 5 dollar picket fence? Mine was sporsterized when my dad bought it and is an FTR. 5 groove with good rifling.
Sponsored Links

ArcherSix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcherSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 11:36am
What kind of scope and what type of mounts?

I'm also curious as to the stock you mention. Can we get a pic?
MaxP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaxP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 2:36pm
 Well, you are looking at it the wrong way, I'm afraid. The rifle is capable of a certain degree of accuracy, no matter who, what, how or where it is shooting. Putting a scope on it doesn't make it more accurate.

In fact you have proven that either putting a scope on it makes YOU LESS accurate, or you are capable of shooting to the best of the rifles accuracy with the battle sights.

Don't be too disappointed if you finally get a scope/mount set up that you like and find it still shoots the same size groups. Getting the most out of a No1 rifle involves a lot of time, patience, skill and a little  black magic. Wink
ArcherSix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArcherSix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2013 at 11:13pm
Good points Max, and you are absolutely correct. However,there is the possibility of the scope being set up wrong too.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic