Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Identifying my Enfield

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Identifying my Enfield
    Posted: December 29 2006 at 12:26pm
I'm trying to identify the make and model of my grandfather's .303 Enfield rifle and could use some help.

There is a stamp with a crown and a "G.R." under it and immediately below that are two crossed flags with a P under it.  Another crown near that has a circle under it with "BM" inside the circle.

Numbers on it:  ERA  412283

The brass tag on the butt stock has "9   18" on the top and "4" stamped on the bottom.

This gun was unfortunately modified as a sport hunting rifle.  The barrel seems to have been shortened and the stock shortened even more.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Smile

- Wade
Sponsored Links

Tymber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tymber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 1:43pm
 The crowned stamp is the British proof mark . GR is the royal stamp for King George .
Is the anything else on the reciever ring , right side ?
hoadie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 2:19pm
Yeah...& is it a "GUN" or a RIFLE?!
why is it - commonwealth folks use the PROPER terminology, & our cousins dont?
Hoadie - the outnumbered purist
Loose wimmen tightened here
zeph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 2:58pm
Nothing else is on the right side of the receiver.

On the left it looks like it says "Made in USA", but it is small and hard to tell. 
It also has "Nitro Proof" and two swords crossed with a "B" on either side and another crown with what may be a "P" and "L" underneath it, followed by another letter below that I cannot see clearly.  "303" of course is also stamped there.

The bolt release has an "E" stamped on it and bolt itself has the same serial number and a "J" stamped on top and an "E" underneath.

There are other stamps but they over each other and I can't make them out.

To answer someone else's question, it is a shouldered firearm with rifling in the barrel, which would make it a rifle by definition in the U.S.

Thanks for the help,

- Wade
#4Mk1(T) View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote #4Mk1(T) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 4:45pm
Sounds like a Pattern 1914 or P14 made at Eddystone. Does it have a one piece stock?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2006 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by #4Mk1(T) #4Mk1(T) wrote:

Sounds like a Pattern 1914 or P14 made at Eddystone. Does it have a one piece stock?

Now without trying to sound smart  is the Bolt Handle a Bent or Dogleg type ? Also the magizine ? is it a protruding ,detachable or is it flush with the stock ? I'm trying to envision what we're dealing with here . If it is indeed a Eddystone Pat 14  beware as these rifles were notorious for having cracked recivers . You'll note from the picture at the top of the Forum  the rifle pictured is a Mk4
       Two piece stock ,the Bolt handle is straight & it is fitted with a 10 shot detachable Magizine

Also don't take Hoadies comments to heart ! We're a rough & ready crew round here ! We all cop it for something or another ,from each other ,but when there is a question asked we all pitch in to help out . The rest of the time is uncontroled insanity !

Dave
zeph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2006 at 1:59am
The bolt handle is dogleg shaped.  The magazine is flush with the stock, not detachable and not visible from the side.

The stock is one piece now, but has been messed with.  It is the original stock, but sadly, it has been cut shorter exposing the barrel (at least I'm assuming this is not the way it was originally) in an attempt to make it look more like a sport rifle.  It is one piece.  If there was stock on the top of the barrel it has been removed.

It has a precision adjustable sight that can only be adjusted if you have a coin or large flat screwdriver handy since the adjustable knobs are smooth with a slot cut on the top.  I figured it was some sort of after market sight since I would assume it would be adjustable by hand for combat use. It looks as old as the rifle though.

I would send pictures but I managed to lose my digital camera USB connector.  I'll need to pick one up today.

Many thanks for all the help.  My father was never very interested in this Enfield ever since he shot it as a kid and the kick sent him flying for a loop. He never asked any questions about it while my grandfather was alive.  I certainly would have if I had I known it existed in time.

- Wade

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 2:07pm
Yep that's a Pat 14 you've got  Zeph ! But it sounds like it's a Eddystone ! I'd be getting a Gunsmith to check it over ! They are a Bloody nice rifle though all the same ! They were introduced in 1913 in .276 (7mm ) to replace the Lee enfield .303 , But with the Out break of hostilites in 1914 they were re tooled for .303& later the US Gov introduced a slighty modified Pat17  in 30-06 ! Durring WW2 many Pat 14s were reburnished as Sniper rifles ! (many were reburnished by companies like Purdy & other Gunmakers in England  for the Commonwealth forces )

Dave
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 4:22am
a couple good referance books can be had in paperback for a reasonable sum , get STRATONs 'british enfield rifles' volume 4 PATTERN 1914 & MODEL 1917, from north cape publications , and , C.S. FERRISs 'united states rifle model of 1917' by scott duff publications , both have good info and both touch on the other , as they are sisters .....who knows you may be inspired to buy more , i was
hoadie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2007 at 12:26pm
Nice examples, sir. I'm impressed.(& I don't impress easily)
Hoadie
Loose wimmen tightened here
zeph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2007 at 12:46am
Thanks for all the great information.  It is very appreciated.  I'll try to get a picture up here.

- Wade
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic