Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do I have here?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnwff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do I have here?
    Posted: October 25 2016 at 7:16pm
Hey guys, just got this enfield rifle from my dad, Figured it would be best to show some pics to the pros to see what I have.  

Any idea of what the value would be, or if its all original?  If its not very valuable Ill likely be turning into a hunting rifle, If it is valuable I will just keep it as is.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 6:40am
It's a 1905 BSA Mk I***, the predecessor to the No 1 Mk III rifles. This rifle was re-serialed to show it had been removed from British service before being sent to the Irish. The CR marked rifles like this tend to have had the rear sight leaf replaced with the Mk III style as well as having the Mk III rear sight protector added. This rifle has had the fore-end cut back and the handguards are missing as well as the nosecap and probably some smaller bits. It would be fairly easy to put it into Mk III* configuration. I won't touch value. It's a subjective topic and varies widely. In a nutshe!! this is worth whatever your local market for a military sporter is. It would be worth considerably more if it was in original configuration. Go ahead and use it for hunting, these rifles are great at that job. Just please don't go drilling and tapping the receiver or doing permanent things like that.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 6:58am
Very good answer Bear. 
pnwff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnwff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 8:19am
Bear, That is exactly the type of information I was looking for when I posted here.  Thank you very much.  It looks like I will be working on getting this gun ready for hunting.  As far as scope mounts, would something like the one I linked below on ebay be a good fit without any permenant modifications?

Thanks again for the info.

Shamu View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 8:38am
Can you re-post the link, I don't see anything.
PitBull, spawn of Rottie!
pnwff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnwff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 8:39am
Tony View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 8:51am
Sham has the info on scope mount availability in the USA . Looks to me like you have chosen a mount suitable for the #4 mk1,2 and the #5.
Rottie (PitBulls dad.)

“If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons

Born free taxed to death!!!

Shamu View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 1:42pm
Yes that mount is only for the NO4 & No5 rifles, it won't attach to a No1 MkIII.
I think this is the version you will need. Its actually for the S.M.L.E. No1 MkIII, but it might fit a S.M.L.E. no1*** as it attaches to the leaf sight base.
https://www.amazon.com/ATI-303-Enfield-Scope-Mount/dp/B000KOS0Q2
maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Yes that mount is only for the NO4 & No5 rifles, it won't attach to a No1 MkIII.
I think this is the version you will need. Its actually for the S.M.L.E. No1 MkIII, but it might fit a S.M.L.E. no1*** as it attaches to the leaf sight base.
https://www.amazon.com/ATI-303-Enfield-Scope-Mount/dp/B000KOS0Q2

I'm not so sure Shamu; I think this version mounts wedged in between the charger bridge and the knox form. If you read the reviews on the Amazon page, they mention it interfering with ejection of the empty case and also prevents charger loading - which a scout mount on rear sight base would be unlikely to do.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 8:53pm
its already a hunting rifle , no need to turn it any more , might be some valuable parts to those restoring [back sight , bolt head , cut off ?] but we cannot see from these photos , the value could be reinvested in a decent rear peep sight , 

im not saying you should not restore it - im always in favor of that but there are many doing it now that are finding the needed parts very hard to find , if all you want is a hunting rifle help them out and they will help you get to a decent sporter 
Shamu View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 5:01am
A lot of the scope mounts block ejection ports so charger loading is usually the first casualty.
I agree a scout type would be better, but it wasn't what the OP posted so I didn't go there.
daneko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 9:27am
I have used the sk mount for the number 3 with good results.
I used the weaver mounts. sk mounts may be a little lower,
but a few bucks more.you will need to remove a slight amount of wood
where the front ring goes around the chamber area. or pick up a fore arm
that one could carve on for scope mounting, save the original.also make sure to tighten mount well...
maxwell smart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxwell smart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 4:22pm
Trouble is, the photos supplied show this rifle has the early type of bolt-head mounted charger guide.

This would make any of the non-gunsmith mounts which mount one end on the solid Mk III charger bridge unsuitable in this case.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 5:04pm
Yes, it would have to be either the scout mount type or the type that mounts on the side of the receiver. The latter in many cases requires a bit of wood removal and probably the removal of the rear volley sight.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 6:41pm
Since my son has my 7x57, I now use my old Ishapore for hiunting. Chop job is how it came. Not had any bother with using the open sights up to now, and clobbered a good few coyotes with it as well as elk and deer.
What I'm getting at is a lot of hunting can be done with open sights. A lot of deer and elk etc are within a couple of hundred yards so ne real need for a scope.  My eyes are 62 but seem to still work no so bad.
Leaving it alone would be a really easy option!  :-)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 6:47pm
That is an excellent point! Guess we get so used to everyone wanting scopes nowadays that we overlook the simple stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic