Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1949 No.4, Mk2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1949 No.4, Mk2

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Message
devrep View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 28 2020
Location: florida
Status: Offline
Points: 232
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 5:50pm
well you make a good point and since there's no rush I will just leave it alone for now.  I'll have to take pics tomorrow of other various stamps that are visible and post them.  are there hidden marks I may miss that you know of?
double gun
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
Goosic View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: September 12 2017
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Status: Offline
Points: 4510
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 6:31pm
On the barrel flat near the reciever, anywhere on the buttsocket,  the flatside of the reciever by the charging bridge just over the electro pencil markings. Just to name a few spots.
Back to Top
Honkytonk View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 30 2017
Location: Brandon Mb
Status: Offline
Points: 3372
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 6:32pm
You are never going to know unless you buy one, damn the consequences. 
Back to Top
devrep View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 28 2020
Location: florida
Status: Offline
Points: 232
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

You are never going to know unless you buy one, damn the consequences. 

meaning?  I just bought one.
double gun
Back to Top
devrep View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 28 2020
Location: florida
Status: Offline
Points: 232
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2020 at 7:12pm
any recommendation's for ammunition?  only .303 British at the flea market today was the stuff with steel casings.  not my cup of tea.  see what I did there?  (:
double gun
Back to Top
Honkytonk View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 30 2017
Location: Brandon Mb
Status: Offline
Points: 3372
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 6:11am
I suspect it will be the first of many! They are addictive! As far as ammunition... that is another adventure on it's own. It seems like every rifle is a little different in their likes/dislikes. They'll all shoot any .303 bullet but it does take a bit of trial and error on hitting the right combination of powder/bullet weight for the rifle. Assuming you will be handloading at some point, always start with a minimum powder charge and work your way up. Some rifles like 180 gr projectiles, some 174 and others 150. You won't know until you experiment. I can tell you from experience (with my Lee Enfield, anyways) they perform the best with powder loads well south of maximum. Don't get disappointed if it isn't a tack driver. They weren't designed for that. As Goosic says, if you can cover the grouping with the palm of your hand, that's pretty good for a stock rifle. Of course, people on this site have a huge amount of knowledge in accurizing these old work horses! Best of luck and have fun!
Back to Top
devrep View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 28 2020
Location: florida
Status: Offline
Points: 232
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 7:21am
battle rifles were never intended to be competition target rifles, although some do work well for that (M14).  they were designed to hit a man in the chest basically.
double gun
Back to Top
devrep View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 28 2020
Location: florida
Status: Offline
Points: 232
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 7:50am
I see ammo with 180, 174 1nd 150 grain bullets.  best?

also as far as off the shelf stuff, only sellier bellot and privi partizan are even close to reasonably priced at 19.95 a box.  federal and other top names are 34.95.  yikes!  I haven't bought ammo for a long time as I have a pretty good stock.  prices are out of sight.  will be worse soon re: the election.

for my M1A I use bulk surplus ammo, have ya'll had any luck with surplus in the Enfield?
double gun
Back to Top
Honkytonk View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: December 30 2017
Location: Brandon Mb
Status: Offline
Points: 3372
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 8:37am
Surplus military .303 ball ammo was probably loaded with fairly generous +/- tolerances, the main factor being quantity. Not to say some doesn't shoot well out of Lee Enfield, but for me, to wring out all the accuracy the rifle is capable of without accurizing it, handloading and experimentation is the way to go. Reloading isn't a huge savings in money, but you can get some pretty consistent ammunition... then it's all up to the nut behind the wheel!
Back to Top
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Joined: April 25 2007
Location: MD, USA.
Status: Offline
Points: 12702
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 8:42am
Prvi Partizan from the former Yugoslavia is a good bet & its reloadable.
Get the 1890 gr as it'll print close to the POA with the issue iron sights.
Don't let the low price fool you its good ammo at a great price.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Back to Top
The Armourer View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: June 23 2019
Location: Y Felinhelli
Status: Offline
Points: 752
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 8:55am
Originally posted by devrep devrep wrote:

  federal and other top names are 34.95.  yikes!  

What you probably class as 'top names' are generally the 'worst names' when it come to 303.

Military 303 has much 'stonger' cases and thicker rims than the likes of Win & Rem.

The US manufacturers building to the the SAAMI specifications tend to build to a price and at the bottom end of the specifications, whilst Prvi Partisan build towards the top end of the specs.

A couple examples of Win 303 case and PP 303 cases.

The rim thickness specification is 0.054" min and 0.064" max 

One reads 0.058" and the other 0.062"

Look at the case wall thickness.

Which do you think are the Win ?








Back to Top
devrep View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 28 2020
Location: florida
Status: Offline
Points: 232
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

Surplus military .303 ball ammo was probably loaded with fairly generous +/- tolerances, the main factor being quantity. Not to say some doesn't shoot well out of Lee Enfield, but for me, to wring out all the accuracy the rifle is capable of without accurizing it, handloading and experimentation is the way to go. Reloading isn't a huge savings in money, but you can get some pretty consistent ammunition... then it's all up to the nut behind the wheel!
I have a bunch of old school reloading gear but honestly haven't used it for years.  I like to shoot but my vision isn't what it used to be so neither are my expectations.  I probably shouldn't even be using open sights anymore but old habits die hard.
double gun
Back to Top
devrep View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 28 2020
Location: florida
Status: Offline
Points: 232
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Prvi Partizan from the former Yugoslavia is a good bet & its reloadable.
Get the 1890 gr as it'll print close to the POA with the issue iron sights.
Don't let the low price fool you its good ammo at a great price.

I've heard good things about it.  I have a bunch of 7.62 surplus Hirtenberger (austria) that's 40 or more years old and it shoots great.

thanks!
double gun
Back to Top
Goosic View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: September 12 2017
Location: Phoenix Arizona
Status: Offline
Points: 4510
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 9:10am
As Shamu has stated.  Your best bet for off the shelf stuff will be the Privi Partisan/PPU stuff. The 174grn FMJBT will be as close to the original service ammunition as you can get and will definitely get you on the target. The 150 and 180grn rounds will also get you printing on the target as well. The rifle will be your ultimate decision maker as to what pill it prefers.
Back to Top
devrep View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 28 2020
Location: florida
Status: Offline
Points: 232
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 9:16am
Originally posted by The Armourer The Armourer wrote:

Originally posted by devrep devrep wrote:

  federal and other top names are 34.95.  yikes!  

What you probably class as 'top names' are generally the 'worst names' when it come to 303.

Military 303 has much 'stonger' cases and thicker rims than the likes of Win & Rem.

The US manufacturers building to the the SAAMI specifications tend to build to a price and at the bottom end of the specifications, whilst Prvi Partisan build towards the top end of the specs.

A couple examples of Win 303 case and PP 303 cases.

The rim thickness specification is 0.054" min and 0.064" max 

One reads 0.058" and the other 0.062"

Look at the case wall thickness.

Which do you think are the Win ?








that's true for most military brass.  not only the thickness but the alloys are usually better.  I have quite a bit of this Garand AP left.  my dad got a full wooden case of this and another of tracer (orange tip) from his national guard major best friend back in the late 70's.  we would pull the bullets, re-weigh the powder accurately and reload the brass with hunting bullets.  the brass is so good you could reload them over and over.
double gun
Back to Top
The Armourer View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: June 23 2019
Location: Y Felinhelli
Status: Offline
Points: 752
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 9:27am
Originally posted by devrep devrep wrote:

that's true for most military brass.  not only the thickness but the alloys are usually better.  I have quite a bit of this Garand AP left.  my dad got a full wooden case of this and another of tracer (orange tip) from his national guard major best friend back in the late 70's.  we would pull the bullets, re-weigh the powder accurately and reload the brass with hunting bullets.  the brass is so good you could reload them over and over.

Indeed, the likes of HXP military surplus is the best, but my point was that PP is Civilian (modern) ammunition but made closely to the miltary specs, rather than the SAAMI specs.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.