Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deer Season is approaching...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deer Season is approaching...
    Posted: September 11 2019 at 5:44pm
I have a Weatherby Vanguard in. 243,scoped with a Bushnell Prime
 6-18x44,and a Boyd's Thumbhole stock. The barrel is fully floated as well. I have not fired it until this morning however.  100 yard target placement, five sight in shots and a final five group shot. The average shot placement came in at 0.375 
I think I might use this rifle to snuff out Bambi at the end of October. 

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2019 at 4:14am
Bye Bye Bambi!
excellent shooting, as always!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2019 at 6:20am
Zed. I have never witnessed a rifle shoot this accurate straight from the box so to speak. The guy next to me let me shoot through his chronograph so I could see how fast the 100 grain bullet was moving. He had it aet up five feet in front if my barrel.  My average calculated from five shots came out to 2968 fps. I zeroed the rifle at 100 yards because of the area I will be hunting in is populated with Juniper and Scrub pine. Anything moving farther out then that and I will not even attempt a ahot.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2019 at 10:25am
Excellent thinking! Know the capabilities of the rifle, choose the appropriate distance! I see way to many hunters caught up in long distance rifles. "This one will kill a deer at 900 yards", or "this rifle can shoot sub-MOA." I've seen these people at the range. About $5.00 a bullet and getting 5" groups. Who would take a shot at a deer at 900 yards? That's like a 1/2 section of land! 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2019 at 1:27pm
The one and only time I witnessed a successful long range shot taken at a Pronghorn Antelope was when I was with my dad. He is an ex army scout. (He is the reason I can shoot the way I do.)
I used a range finder and a wind gauge.  His 300 Weatherby Mag was zeroed for 200 yards. I gave him the wind speed and direction along with the yardage, which was just under 600 yards. He made his scope adjustments while standing,shouldered the rifle and shot. The antelope fell over dead. When we got to the animal it was discovered that the shot was a perfect clean through heart shot.  He knew what he and his rifle were capable of doing but,he also knew his surroundings.  (Lowland plains area east of Flagstaff Arizona.) If we were in our usual deer hunting spot he would of waited for a closer shot. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic