Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is this one worth the price?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this one worth the price?
    Posted: September 16 2019 at 11:06am
I need some advice...
I'm after a decent bolt action 30-06, not a new one, rather some rifle with a bit of history and someone is selling this one, well, "was" selling, I should say, this one and it did not actually sell, so it might well come back on the list.
Can someone of you guys provide any review based of what the ad shows?? Is it worth the asked price?
Remember we're talking about NZ dollars, not US (US$ 1 = NZ$ 1.55).
Thanks Wink

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2019 at 11:31am
That looks like a nice rifle. I'm assuming the bore is good. In my part of Canada, that rifle would bring a top dollar of $450. CAD. If my conversion is right, your price is under $400, like $375. It has scope mounts so in my humble opinion you would be doing alright.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2019 at 12:15pm
A Parker Hale Safari in 30:06 caliber is a very potent hunting rifle. Good price, grab it!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2019 at 12:54pm
Thanks Thumbs Up
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2019 at 2:10pm
An M1917 based P-H in Thuddy-ought-six is going to be an excellent rig. I have no idea what NZ prices will be though as its a totally different market from here in the U.S.
I'd consider it a tad high in the US market with US$ though?
Did the currency conversion "Tree Fiddy" here would be a good price assuming all is well.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 3:53am
You have the ability to import firearms to the States?
Loose wimmen tightened here
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 6:32am
Me? no.
But I think he's in New Zealand?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 7:28am
Personally, I would wait & buy a rifle purpose / original made in 30.06 (if thats what you want). Seems to me there are too many things that are "hidden flaws", that may cause you disappointment going forward. (why you want 30.06 I have no idea.)
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 8:44am
If thats made from a M1917, not a P-14 it is an original thuddy ought six!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 8:47am
yeah, but the stock etc is questionable, it would appear.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 9:04am
I've never owned one, but a couple of buddies shoot 30/06's. Still to this day it'll pretty much do whatever some of the new "super calibre's" will do. You wouldn't be under gunned for any game we have in North America. Not sure about what kind of critters are in NZ, though. That being said, I personally prefer the .303 BR.
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 10:33am
Originally posted by hoadie hoadie wrote:

Personally, I would wait & buy a rifle purpose / original made in 30.06 (if thats what you want). Seems to me there are too many things that are "hidden flaws", that may cause you disappointment going forward. (why you want 30.06 I have no idea.)
Thanks for your advice.
Why a 30-06??? My first answer would be "why not"??, simple as that....but the more refined answer lies in the history of that calibre and the famous rifles that were shooting it.  I shoot 303 and I like it.  Next to that is the 30-06.....so there I go Smile
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2019 at 10:40am
And just to clarify a bit, I don't hunt......I'm no hunter. I don't have the heart for that and leave it to those who do that much better than what I would do.  So the choice of calibre I shoot or would like to shoot is all about history, mainly the WWII.... My dream would be to have one of these calibre that were used during WWII...I started with the 303 because, to my eyes, it is one of the most iconic rifle of that period of time....but I'm on the hunt for a good Mosin Nagant as well....a K98 might be a bit too pricey for me....and we're not allowed semi-auto anymore in New Zealand, so my choice in 30-06 is shrinking.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic