Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Ishapore Enfields
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Ishapore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Ishapore
    Posted: October 15 2019 at 6:31pm
just got this today . I hope I didn’t screw up.
Frameman 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 6:46pm
more pics 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 6:52pm
very nice 2A , it all looks to be correct and in good nick as well , should perform well for you , these are quite nice rifles - i occasionally miss mine when i see these posts , i think you did quite well , congrats 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 7:04pm
Thank you ,
I traded an AK I’ve had for years for this one.
I am a bit puzzled however.
The gun shop owner had it tagged as a 308 caliber but the wrist is clearly marked as 7.62.
I also wonder why the model Mklll markings went? Scrubbed in Ishapore I assume.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 8:46pm
The 2A1 7.62mm  rifle receiver was made with a stronger steel. Ishapore did not convert existing No1Mk111* rifles to 7.62. The .308 and 7.62x51 have one difference, and that is the shoulder area of the case. In the following photo,the bullet on the left is  .308 and the bullet on the right is a 7.62x51. The .308 ammunition will chamber in the 7.62 rifle but not all NATO ammunition will chamber in new .308 rifles.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 12:26am
Based on your statement, I should go with the stamping info on the rifle. The shoulder of the 7.62 round does appear to be shorter and a slightly different angle. Interesting!!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 4:11am
Also consider that the velocity and pressure are different; with the NATO spec being slightly lower than .308 rounds.
There are many versions of .308 with different bullet weights and loads for hunting etc. That's why it's better to stick with the NATO spec.
If you reload; you can use the .308 components and load to NATO spec velocities to keep it safe.

That's a very nice clean example. Please show us the range report when you find time.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 4:22am
You can count on my range report. I’m going to disassemble and safety check it out and put a few 7.62 bullets down range this weekend for sure.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 6:12am
You have a nice 2A now you just need a nice original 2A1 to go with it. The rear sights are different. Now that you have a couple just be careful. They breed like rabbits LOL
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 7:07am
I blame this site. Before I joined I had one Sporter. Since then I've aquired a No5, another No4 Sporter, a L42A1clone, a No4 Mk2 (which I made into a Sniper clone), and a No1 MkIII. Shame on all of you!Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 7:31am
This piece doesn’t appear to have any import marks either.
Not sure if that’s good or bad.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 3:34pm
I’m afraid I may have stepped in it on this purchase. I’ve measured the barrel length from inside the muzzle to the face of the closed bolt. I’m getting 20”. I’m pretty sure it should be 25.5”. The lower stock also appears to have been shortened. Notice the distance from the rear of the nose cap to the barrel band. When I removed the wood I noticed a splice made to the lower hand-guard at the barrel band.
I still haven’t been to the range to shoot it. The barrel crown doesn’t look bad. Please! Someone tell me that Ishapore built a carbine.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 6:37pm
Nope!
Gibbs Rifle Company shortened some of them to make a 7.62 Jungle Carbine and a Tanker version.  Yours could be one of them. Alot of Enfield  rifles have a tendency to become something they were not from people who have no idea what they have in its original form and think they can improve on an already perfect rifle. Take it for what it is now and enjoy it...
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 7:00pm
agreed - use 762x51 in it , it was a longer one originally but a fine looking rifle and as stated enjoy it as is , you will not be disappointed in it i think , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 7:11pm
I’m going to take your advice. I still need to do a bit of work to the wood in letting. The wood behind the steel pillar for the front trigger guard screw is blown out and the recoil blocks at the trigger action is beaten a little. A little Acraglas will fix this problem. 
The history of this rifle just got more interesting.😎
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 7:08am
I think you got a tanker conversion. In their own way they're neat. Do check the splice you found, some forend tips have been known to launch downrange on firing due to gluing oily wood together.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic