Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New lithgow toys

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New lithgow toys
    Posted: October 16 2019 at 2:46pm
guys I got a great contact this bloke back in Aussie , talking with him and holly sh*t he’s got a couple of original sets of forends  for H barreled enfields well I got the sets off of him and now will get ready to do my h barreled target tribute rifle just need a rear sight base and I’m away .
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 6:54pm
nice , that was a great buy , 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2019 at 7:09pm
The grain of that wood looks interesting. Do you know what it is? Thanks!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 8:42am
Looks very nice. Hard to find these items so it's great when you can come across them and snag them.
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 10:12am
honkytonk they are all walnut from the look of them I will clean them up to see the grain a little .
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 4:36pm
I thought Aussie made No1's didn't use walnut. Coachwood and others. That said, I just had a Lithgow built for me and the furniture sure looks like yours and by my eye, walnut.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 8:33pm
i think they used walnut when they could get it - i think the coach wood was an expedient but im not well versed on their production by any means , 
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2019 at 8:56pm
All the earliest Lithgows were stocked in walnut to about very early 1916. Then Qld maple 1916 to 1940, then coachwood.
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 2:35pm
homer you are correct  a lot of lithgows 1913/14 where made with English misc parts ie volley sight , mag cutoff and wood I have a 17 that is qld maple there is a difference between the wood even after 1940 I have a1940 that is walnut and a 41 that is coachwood . The bloke I got these of has a very nice sniper collection and has invited me over for a shot of them when I get home at xmas time .and of course a couple off cold beverages
Homer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by smerdon42 smerdon42 wrote:

homer you are correct  a lot of lithgows 1913/14 where made with English misc parts ie volley sight , mag cutoff

Haven’t seen an official source or any evidence to support this. Walnut blanks were imported from England for rifle stocks very early on but no other miscellaneous English parts were used. Lithgow was tooled up to produce all parts of a completed rifle including the stock so it was completely unnecessary to use any English parts. It’s understandable that people may think this however, because so many early lithgows have been restored with English parts. 
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 6:52pm
thats what i was thinking as id always seen where lithgow made most all their own bits or had feeder factories providing them close by , i did know they imported lumber early on but developed their own sources , in addition to european walnut did they also get a bit of american walnut ? they are somewhat different 
Australian MA SMLE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Australian MA SMLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 9:35pm
Hi great buy on the fore ends. If you are interested in selling any spare Australian front volley sights I would be keen as I am restoring a 1913 Lithgow that is missing the front Volley sight. Its frustrating trying to find some parts as it takes a heap of time. Also missing a front band for a No 1 Mk V trials rifle marked V.  
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2019 at 2:27am
Australian Ma , I have a 1914to restore back first . And I am using one for my 1915 16 th light horse rifle I have as well leaves only one left .it is hard to find the stuff for lithgows but you got to be patient .i am originally from wagga but live here now . I also have a 1913 serial number 160, is barely been shot all original rifle parts but the stock was sporterised , some people I tell you .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic