Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield 1888 Mk1 - 1st Pattern

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enfield 1888 Mk1 - 1st Pattern
    Posted: October 25 2019 at 3:19am
I have to say... October 2019 is turning out to be a real pleasure for me. Its a dream come true that I would never have thought would ever happen.

In the past two week...
'4' M1917 (1918) dated, '1' with early Mk1 scabbard;
'2' Winchester M1917's, '1' early Mk1 scabbard (Jewel);
'1' Winchester P1913 - 12/15 (earliest production date?);
'1' M1917 Vietnam era production... with matching scabbard;

And now today.... this...

I've secure the '1888' through 'lay-away'. However, the price is well over £500. Thoughts!!!
This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 6:52am
Ah Hah!
That's the bayonet frog mine is (supposed to be) a replica of!

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 9:57am
Hi Sarge,
I also fancy Pat.1888s. Here are some more. Top to bottom:
Mk.I
Mk.I Second Model
Mk.II
Mk.III
South African manufacture, WW II.
    Terry
Sarge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 10:56am
Very nice set of blade there 'Terrylee'. I've never seen an SA example before... how rare are they?
This is MY rifle, there are many like, but this one... is MINE!
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 2:35pm
Sarge, According to information in our Military Archives about 7,000 were manufactured by the SA Railways.  Some were issued to members of the Defence Rifle Associations, I guess the balance were scrapped post war. Their original finish ranges from rough to poor which probably accounts for them being rather uncommon today. Their scabbards were also made by the railways. One in as good condition as can be expected goes for about R 8,000.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2019 at 8:32pm
i thinkyou have done well , i seldom see any 88s anymore and - i am not looking really -- i would grab that one up , as to the 17s and 13s , man you have stirred an old itch that i need to put benedril on , i do love collecting and have reached an age of divesting , buying new is not really in the cards these days , congrats , 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic