Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

strange lee enfield ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jano9133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: strange lee enfield ??
    Posted: October 25 2019 at 3:22am
Hi everyone . I am french and excuse me if my english isn't very good . I herited from my grandfather a rifle who served in the first war and after .The problem is this rifle is equipped with a lee metford barrel . Has evrey one ever seen that . Thanks . 
Ps . I don't know if is possible to dend you a picture . 
The riffle is marked . GR  1910  SHT LE   III * / N°  M33016
The barrel are 33" length ande marked 1886 
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2019 at 9:49pm
That is a new one on me, perhaps a target rifle built on a SMLE action but who, why or When I have no Idea.   I have a Lebel 1886/93 and a MAS 36 & MAS 45 in my collection
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
jano9133 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jano9133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2019 at 2:55am
Thanks for response . The rifle is from BSA , there is a B between GR and the date 1910 . A friend said me perhaps is a special order commercial version . Is it possible ? Cdt . Jean 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2019 at 8:29am
Its quite possible.
Metford rifling was for black powder rounds, One of the reasons for switching to Lee Enfield rifling was because of the change to Cordite as a propellant.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2019 at 8:27pm
i think you will find this predates WWI but that is only my guess without seeing it , it is indeed black powder if a metford barrel , and simon or terry lee can speak to these far better than i , we would love to see it if that works out , 
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2019 at 2:23am
Bienvenue sur le forum :)
Philtno
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2019 at 8:46am
I'm not sure. BSA offered a choice of Metford or Enfield pattern rifling well into the 1920's. This is from a repro. of a 1923 (I think) catalog.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2019 at 10:38am
It sounds like Short Magazine Lee Enfield receiver mounted with a non standard barrel.

My first though was that it might be fitted with a long Lee barrel, however, long Lee barrel has a length of only 30-1/4 inches, not 33.

So it would be interesting to see what Grandpa had there. A custom target rifle? You mention a Metford barrel.

Metford rifling was an existing design of rifling that was popular with the Victorian era target shooting community. It was renowned for accuracy and easy clean up with black powder. 
The Mk.I Lee Metford was basically a design of a Lee action mounting a Metford target style barrel. Much heavier than any subsequent Lee Metford/Enfield series of rifles. 

Cordite burnt hot and eroded the throat.

Enfield style rifling was the solution, deeply cut square shoulder grooves. The barrel throat still eroded with the cordite propellant, but it held out longer for more rounds before needing to be changed.

Enfield rifling was an existing in house design originally developed for the Gatling gun.

A Sht.LE with a Metford barrel would have promise as a shooter.

Metford rifling has seven grooves, Enfield has five.

Picture would get you more answers.

Welcome to the forum
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2019 at 12:36pm
Welcome to the forum Jano9133. Good to see another member in France!
To post a photo; use the "Post Reply" selection on the left hand of the screen. This has a n icon menu where you can attach your photos. If you use the "Quick Reply" box you cannot add photos.

Sounds like an interesting rifle; looking forward to seeing some photos.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2019 at 1:46pm
1886 dated barrel, isn’t that early for the Lee Medford?  That’s early for a .303.  
jano9133 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jano9133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 2:27am
  Thank you for all your answers . I will try to put pictures . Thks
jano9133 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jano9133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 3:16am
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 5:38pm
its an early mk I if im reading right , sported , we need some close shots of the bolt to be certain what they changed besides the stock alterations and such , should be a fun sporter , 
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 1:13am
Whatever it is, it appears to be based on a 1940 dated Dispersal Rifle.  Badly stamped 4 looks like a 1.  They didn't make the SMLE Mk III* in 1910!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 5:21am
Like terrylee said, that receiver is a 1940 BSA dispersal.
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 9:57am
The barrel is indeed a custom installation, but I dont that it think it is British barrel. I see no Brit proof marks.

I dont recognise the reinforce or nocks form, so I cannot hazzard a guess as to what rifle from which it was taken. Perhaps somebody will recognise the markings?

The 1886 mark has similar characters to the 1888 mark on a Mauser 71/84 I used to have.

We do not know if it chambered in 303 British. It might be chambered in some other caliber. 

A chamber cast would tell us a lot.

The fore stock has a problem where it fits up to the receiver at the back. I see a gap between wood and metal where there should be no gap. Not sure as to what is going on there.

But an interesting rifle for sure. Somebody spent time and effort modifying it.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic