Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deer hunting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2019 at 2:57am
Pukka;

The fishermen getting caught stealing fish from the bear's stream, is the equivalent of being caught here - in their blueberries .
If'n ya don't corner or bother a Wolverine / badger, they certainly wont bother you.
Wolves have moved into our hunt area. Heard 'em howling last time we were up. They are protected here - I can't shoot 'em..& because of it, I cant shoot the coyotes, either. People are liable to shoot a wolf thinking it was a coyote.
I guess thats the price we pay for being so close to Algonquin Park
Loose wimmen tightened here
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2019 at 5:12am
A-Square,

Cats around here are not at all scarce.   Legally, on your own land you can shoot at any time of the year, or get someone with hounds to clear them out if a pest.
They used to be protected, but so numerous now they are no longer on the list.  Same with wolves.
Grizzlies, you need a Very good reason to drop one!
A girl living west of us with 2 small kids had a grizzly breaking into her grain bin quite regularly, so fish cops set a cage trap;
It never went  in so they told her to "just shoot it" if it came back, it did, so she did....then she got in hot water about it!  
 After she'd plugged it, she took some photos, but when she told fish-cops about it, they threatened charges, took the bear (of course) and wouldn't even let her keep the photos!
No charges in the end, as she lives on her own in the wild with 2 small bairns.
Hoadie,
Quite agree about a wolverine, just don't corner one or it'll turn sour fast!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2019 at 1:09pm
If anything threatened my family, on two or four legs, I would not hesitate to put it (them) down. I live in Canada, so I would probably be charged. I would keep my head up high, my only defense being that is pretty much a man (or a woman) is designed to do to protect their family. I would accept the charge... confirming that Canada has become so left wing it makes me sick.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 7:25am
Honkytonk, I am 100% in agreement with you!!!!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Tonsper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonsper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 7:50am
+1 on that. 
Waiting for first light. Shook hands with the devil.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2019 at 4:50pm
Pukka , thats our issue , once on the "list" here the idiots never want to remove them , i understand the need to preserve but at the same time think management equals some control , ill deal with the weirdos when the time comes to protect my grandkids enjoying nature , 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2019 at 3:36pm
Well. Pretty good black powder season. Ended today. Bagged a fat bodied Manitoba 3 pointer at 7:30 this morning. Buddies and me just had the bbq'ed tenderloins! Past Tuesday, bagged a nice 5 pointer but wasn't near as big a body of the 3 point. 5 pointer was a loping shot at 75 yards. Today was a standing broadside at 125 yards. 30 year old Thompson Centre Renagade .50 cal with a recently added Skinner Peep Site. 385gr Hornady Great Plains backed by 90 grs of real BP. Before the season I thought I should buy one of those fancy in lines that shoot sabots... I'm good! Rifle starts tomorrow. 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2019 at 6:56am
Buddy got a nice three point yesterday on the first day of rifle season. .308. Broadside at 50 yards. He was using some green plastic tipped 155 gr bullet that absolutely exploded on impact! Didn't even pass through. What a mess. Hit at the shoulder then Carnage. I'll stick to my .303 150 gr Hornady Spire points.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 6:30am
Honks,
I've been carrying a Swedish Mauser this year, open sights.
Seen plenty of nice bucks, but none much under 300 yards, and plenty at a half mile!
200 yards is good, but not ethical for me to try 300.
Paper is OK, but not a game animal.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 6:45am
The land we have permission on is new to us. One thing I always do in a new area prior to the season is pick out several spots that look like a good place to sit. Then I pace out how far certain landmarks are so when and if I see an animal near the landmark, I roughly know if it's in my wheel house. I took my No5 out last time with open sites. On a standing broadside, I would feel comfortable shooting up to 125 yards max. Even with a scoped Lee Enfield, I would put 200 yards as a limit. Like you Pukka, it's about ethics, not the rifles ability to reach out farther than that.
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2019 at 8:03am
When my son was 16 I gave him a Remington 700 chambered in .270 , I had won the rifle in a auction !! was trying to stick a supervisor that worked in the office next to mine with the rifle ... but I ended up winning it !!
Well he set up 3 targets on my 100 yard range , a steel chicken , a steel pig and a bowling ball pin !!!  he grabbed a chair and sat down aimed and shot each target open sights ! hit all 3 ... as he got up and put the chair away I asked him if he wanted to put the scope on it that came with it , he said no, I wont be making any shots over 100 yards any how !!!  so far he has not missed !   even the last buck he took that was on the run in the swamp he nailed it !!!  he called me after he shot ! told me he did not see a splash down behind the deer and he was going to go track it !! I told him to watch out for his Brother in Law since he was headed that way ... He said to me ... Who ya think pushed the deer out of cover for me !!!!   A little after that I heard them whooping and hollering , so I headed toward them, then I hear the 4 wheeler start up , and then turn off, still hear them cutting up !! then I hear the 4 wheeler start up again , so I just turn and head toward the house !!  by the time I got to the house they had the buck strung up and gutted !!  Boy was happy   dont know if we will make another hunt like that this year , with all the chores I have to catch up on and Boogie has made Tch at his company so he will be a lot more busy at work !!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 11:40am
I've sent Shamu a picture of a 385 gr Hornady Great Plains .50 cal hollow point before and after a 125 yd broadside shot into a 5 point whitetail. 90 grs of BP. Recovered lead... 366 gr. Total bullet loss of 19 gr. Lung/liver shot... never moved. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2019 at 8:40pm
Just for fun Honky-T, here's a bullet from my Snider after collission with a mule deer at about 75 yards.   Plus an unfired bullet.  The bullet on the left was a whitetail about 120 yards off.
I designed the mould years ago now, and it has always shot well and is stable still at a known 700 yards,.

This bullet has won 6 out of 9 Colin Clark Memorial shoots we hold each June  (150 yards)

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2019 at 5:12am
Very controlled expansion! Nice! Pukka, how many grains are they? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2019 at 6:47am
Honks,
Pure lead and 480 grains.
Pure lead has "High molecular cohesion"  as they say. (sticks together well)
I don't think I ever weighed them after collision.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2019 at 7:10am
Ouch! That would definitely leave a mark!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic