Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New bolt head issue.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 2:19pm
Does this look like the correct extractor for my Ishapore?
Brass drags very hard on edge of breech mouth during extraction. Way too hard.
Frameman 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 2:20pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 2:21pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 2:24pm
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 4:16pm
I'm no #1/MK3 expert but to me that looks like the angle on the extractor that is from a #4/MK1 rifle.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 4:33pm
I too believe it’s the wrong one for the Ishapore 308 round. It pulls the rounds so hard it scratches them silly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 5:31pm
extractor removed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 5:32pm
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 4:24am
can you take a photo of an empty brass case sitting on top of the bolt head with the extractor engaged with the extractor groove on the case.  It looks to me to be a .308 extractor.  The case should overhang on the left side of the bolt head about 1/16 inch.  If it was a .303 extractor, the case will not overhang the bolt head.

Mouth of the chamber might be rough.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 5:25am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 5:47am
Based on the test supplied by britrifles. I’m going to be trying to figure a way to hone the edge of the chamber mouth ever so lightly, just to polish the edge.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 5:59am
it's a .308 cartridge case, so I assume it's a 7.62 (.308) Ishapore. In which case surely the extractor is correct. The case is ejected by it being forced onto the left wall of the receiver to make it flick out.
Check the chamber as mentioned; but if you polish the receiver wall, it will leave the empty case sitting on top of the rounds in the magazine.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 6:24am
It’s not clear from my photo but the total length scratches on the case are definitely coming from the chamber mouth. They begin about 1/8” above the case head and travel almost to the shoulder. All I want to do is knock the burrs or rough edge off the mouth on the edge where the case is forced into. I’ll need to devise some way to touch just that edge.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 6:37am
I would suggest using a permanent marker on the case; leaving a thin line of brass that is facing to the top. Load and extract to identify which area of the mouth which is scratching the case.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 6:44am
Excellent idea. I’ll do as you suggest and that will pin point the problem areas.
Thanks 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2019 at 7:16am
Frameman.
I had a similar issue when I was converting my No5MkI to 7.62x51mm.  I had the luxury of being able to use a fine half round file to knock down any burrs on the the chamber mouth and then using a brass chamber brush prior to final assembly of the barrel to the receiver however. Do not worry about the extractor, it is doing its intended job. Do you intend to reload for this rifle? If so,by all means ,clean up the chamber mouth.  If you do not intend to reload,scratching the case up during extraction should not be an issue unless,after firing a round,the case gets stuck due to the burrs on the chamber mouth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic