Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parker-Hale 5a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parker-Hale 5a
    Posted: November 05 2019 at 9:49am
I finally received the safety spring kit from Stonehill via the gentleman in Regina this morning. Easy peasy to install, although I learned to install wrist band screw only tight enough to hold spring in place, then tighten trigger guard screw, and do a final snug down on both. Safety works as it should (snap cap used.) One last test... fire it! It's pretty cold here but I hope to have a range report by week's end. Got bullets loaded, rifle/site bore sited.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 9:51am
YAY! Finally. I know its been driving you crazy.
Did it fit nicely squared or did you have to shim it?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 10:30am
I checked up/down and top for level and it looks good. Now, if it will only go bang.... All indications with a snap caps say yes!
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 11:57am
Just swapped the PH5A I got from Shamu to my No1MkIII*; replacing the AGP No9 sight. This is my rifle for Modified Service Rifle competitions. I gave it a strip and minor adjustment to the wood on Saturday and fitted the sight. The PH5A is more stable than the no9, which can slacken off the hinge screw a little due to recoil.
It seems to have bolted straight on and lines up nicely; when checking visually and with the laser. Next weekend I'll be trying it out; along with some hand loads for the No4Mk1

Look forward to comparing notes!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 2:37pm
Excellent news!
Waiting for the range reports!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 4:59pm
Very useful instrument for shooting beyond 200 yards.  Trying to get a consistent hold off for wind allowance at 600 yards is not easy, these sights are very nice to use.  

The range I shoot at holds a monthly 3x600 match, three strings of 20 rounds for a total possible score of 600.  All fired at 600 yards.  Most will be using F-Class rifles, I’ll be using my No. 4 Mk 2 7.62 NATO conversion with PH5C.  The 10 ring on the MR target is 12 inches in diameter (that’s 2 MOA at 600 yards), so the challenge is shooting 60 rounds all in the 10 ring. 

Frameman 1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frameman 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 6:45pm
Good luck to ya!
There are no Americans in Baghdad!!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 7:55pm
Has any members hunted deer with an Enfield with a P-H site? We mostly sit on the edge of pasture in the mornings and evenings, rarely pushing bush. Longest shot would be 100-150 yds. If I can site my No1 in, I was thinking of taking it out for at least one hunt. Thoughts?
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2019 at 11:33pm
The field of vision through the dioptre may be a limiting factor for hunting.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 5:56am
Good point. Not a great set up for a running shot (which I would usually pass on) but was more thinking of sitting in my hidey hole, range known, ambush style. Pretty much how we hunt. Not a fan of deer drives as over the years we found scouting and getting familiar with the area and deer patterns has yielded more venison for our group. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2019 at 6:49am
If I used one for hunting I'd remove the eyepiece for the day using the screw mount as a sort of Ghost Ring" rear-sight.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 8:11am
I have a mini range report on my No1 MkIII. It is -20C here currently but felt I needed to see if the new rifle actually fired. I just got back from the range. After the first initial "God, I hope this doesn't blow my head off" shot (safety glasses on, eyes closed, leather gloves on) I set up a six inch black circle Target at 25 yds. Front post dead centre at the bottom of circle. Two shots. .42" group, 6" above circle. Adjusted P-H site to lowest setting on scale. Four shot group, .92" right at the top of the circle. My main concern was testing the mechanics of the new rifle (cycling, extraction, firing) and it passed with flying colors. I can now clean it and put it to bed for the winter. It's been a long journey with this rifle, but I am totally happy with Stuart's product.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 9:10am
The first shots on a "new" old rifle always make me nervous.  I recall the first time I fired my Dad's Martini Henry Mk III; he had never shot the rifle.  No way of knowing when (or if) it had actually been fired.  The ammunition had deteriorated primers, cordite loaded, and there was about a 1 second delay from releasing the striker to the cartridge igniting.  
Yikes, -20 deg.  I'll be heading up to Canada next week and hope to do some more shooting with Dad's No. 4(T), I hope it's not going to be that cold!

HT, that rifle has some promise in it.  I'm looking forward to hearing more range results after it thaws out up there (May?).

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 9:43am
Yes, I believe it does have promise. Im sure I read it on s previous post before, but it appears that P-H 5a isn't really a 100yd target site, and my gut feeling is it's going to be high @ 100 yds even with the site dialed real low. Our range only goes to 200 yds, so I think I've devised a plan. While 25 yd target shooting doesn't prove a lot, it did prove the rifle functions... and well. Britrifles. I live on the prairies and we are currently locked in a cold system. Not normal temps for this year, but hopefully it'll get the deer moving. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 4:23pm
HT, you should be able to bring the horizontal windage arm right down on the sight base, the elevation scale is adjustable.  

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2019 at 4:54pm
Shamu had mentioned the scale is adjustable, and I had figured that out. He said once you get the rifle sighted in, adjust the scale to your liking. Good info from both of you. Do you think it would go low enough to work at 100 yards?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic