Successful Deer Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Successful Deer Season
    Posted: December 06 2019 at 4:28am
As my wife said last week;" You're too old to die young!"
Although I think I'm still too young to die old!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2019 at 7:50pm
thanx A SQ
Loose wimmen tightened here
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2019 at 7:25pm
aint that the truth ? like shamu im disgraceful in this growing old - i keep thinking ill get younger and get disappointed every morning looking in the mirror but i intend to make the best of it , 

i get the loss , things are never quite the same when one of our own are no longer in attendance particularly after such a long history of enjoying it together , the closure may come with your suggested remembrances , the memories will live on when you explain to any new faces what those memorials mean to all of you , i like the fact that those of you who knew him are going to do that - it will keep him with you in years to come , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2019 at 12:51pm
Its a natural process. I'm just "Growing Old disgracefully"!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2019 at 11:57am
yeah...there way more ground behind us than in front of us
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2019 at 11:51am
We're all coming to that stage in life where the "Absent Friends" list grows longer far too fast.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2019 at 11:39am
Even tho it was a fairly successful deer hunt for us..it rings somewhat hollow this year.
Colin & I have hunted together for 34 years. This year he wasn't there...& he never will be again.
Something just wasn't right this year. Something was missing.
We did send a "care" package to him..but he isn't eating (His wife will enjoy it).
His wife asked spread some of his ashes @ the cabin this spring. Shaun is writing a programme to engrave an aluminum plaque, we'll place up there.
We have enough Enfields (& proper blanks) to actually do a "21 gun salute".
Guess it's the end of an era.
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2019 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

I thought of trying that once, but after looking into it, a lot of work. And now since we downsized, I don't have a good spot to use (maybe my wife's bathroom?)

I took a Taxidermy class years ago , unless your going to get into it for the long haul , the chemicals and all the other tools to do it right are way to expensive to just do it as a hobby ... I did a few small hides like squirrels and rabbits with the Tandy leather Tannit mixture , but it does not do as good as a good chrome tan does ... believe me , when I say its well worth the money to just get your local taxidermist to prep the hide and send it to a tannery to get tanned properly and it will last for years , I have one sitting in my gun shop that I had tanned through my local taxidermist 20 years ago , its starting to show signs or wear and tear now !!!!!
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 7:58pm
oh dude! Wimmen have NO sense of humour or generosity wence it comes to somethin they consider theirs.

In my case, twas the old bathtub. Ended up with everything being replaced.

Ended up Lion's share of the cost was the "Bathfitters" cuz I did everything else.

2 months later, youngest broke floor tile in the middle of the floor. *I wasn't gonna do it again!

everything being replaced.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 2:46pm
The first house we owned, 42 years ago, I cut up a small button buck in the bath tub. Didn't work for me cause we're still together!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 12:42pm
HT!! Don't do it!! I've posted a number of times on here about what happened when I used the wife's bathtub fer somthin like that...DON'T DO IT!! (It ended up costing me $4,000) You can thank me later...(We divorced anyway)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 11:50am
I thought of trying that once, but after looking into it, a lot of work. And now since we downsized, I don't have a good spot to use (maybe my wife's bathroom?)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 11:11am
I have a friend who tans the deer hides then makes vests and etc. (leather goods).
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 10:06am
Agree totally about the Geneva Convention rules. We do take deer legs, head, etc out to a farm we have permission to shoot coyotes at. We've been pretty successful this year and the 'yotes have nice coats. We take the animal as is to and old fellow out of town and get $25-40 per, depending on size and condition. We've got 12 so far. We donate our deer hides to Hides for Habitat.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 6:58am
With all the predators we have around here, a few years ago I set it in my mind to only hunt bucks, and that certainly narrowed things down. 
Also, I've had a buck come eat in the yard frequently, along with the does I put oats out for, but the rules of the "Geneva Convention" forbid me to shoot guests!  LOL.

Best,
R.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 3:54am
Rhino, your experience is why I am glad I live in an area where the only snakes are garder snakes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic