Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Successful Deer Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Successful Deer Season
    Posted: November 30 2019 at 6:50pm
I filled my deer tag late this afternoon after a day of foul weather. Got this nice doe with my Winchester M1917 (hence being in this forum). Ammo used was PPU 165 gr pointed soft points. This doe came in close, the shot was at about 80 yards which is super close for the plains here.

A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 7:07pm
nice , meat in the freezer , and with a proper rifle too , my compliments and thanks for helping with the management efforts , not enough shot here this year yet , 

gimp got his a week ago , about 70yds , far for him , his usually walk right up to the blind 

Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2019 at 7:14pm
It seems there is always someone that deer come in super close for. My dad filled his West River tag a couple weeks ago and he said it was no more than 40 yards away. He said he basically just pointed the barrel at it LOL  He used his 1939 BSA No 1 Mk III* on that one.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 4:35am
Well done! 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 5:06am
Good on ya!! We got two (buck & Doe). We would have had more if my shoulder hadn't completely blown out on the wed of the week.

Geeze bear...did you watch her comin for 5 or 10 miles? You prairie people can watch activity in the next state!!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 5:19am
Our prairie group had a good year and tagged out with three nice bucks and a huge doe. I had tagged out in black powder season and signed up on buddies tag. I carried my No5 but didn't have to shoot as buddies tagged out two days into rifle season. Funny story Hoadie. We hunt on a 1/4 section of land, and all our deer were taken while the shooter stood behind the one big tree in the edge of the pasture!
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 7:14am
Congrats Bear!

I didn't get a deer this year. Season ended yesterday. Always something needed doing, and when I did get out , all shots were long for open sights.  Will have to live on what's in the freezer from the last 15 years!  LOL!!
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 7:43am
Congrats on the harvest, Bear!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
White Rhino View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 12:14pm
Well, With all I have had to do around the house and doctors visits , then dropping a peice of fire wood on my foot last week end , I finally went and made a hunt , Stan came with me , Son in Law did not come since he played around in the yard and stressed his knee the night before , so Stan took up stand where the Pipeline meets the canal behind us .... I went to the north side and made a push through , I didnt even see any tracks ....  so when I got to Stan, I went across the pipe line to make another push , I could not get across the little coley so I just followed it to one of my old stands , then turned and headed back to the house . as I was nearing the Pipe Line , I came upon this fa;;en tree , so I was looking for away around it with out getting wet since I only had knee boots on .. as I was looking I noticed this snake, but I could not see his head , so I poked him with a stick ..... Well I angered him and also found out it was a Cotton Mouth !   This guy pulled his head out from under the tree and started reading his mouth for a strike ! then started toward me , so I went up the fallen tree !!  Well thats when I realized I did not have my Snake Slayer IV .410 pistol !!  so from up on the fallen tree I pointed and shot him with my deer rifle !!  head shot !!!    and end of that hunt !!!!    I think this was the last week end for either sex, will have to check ... but if work permits and the body !  I may make a few more before season is over .......
"White Rhino"

"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer." --W. C. Fields
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 1:04pm
...only snow snakes up here rhino.(& they aint poisonous).
Coulda really used ya here this year!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 2:30pm
Hhmmm... well. That last story for sure beats mine. Well done, Rhino...
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 3:54am
Rhino, your experience is why I am glad I live in an area where the only snakes are garder snakes.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 6:58am
With all the predators we have around here, a few years ago I set it in my mind to only hunt bucks, and that certainly narrowed things down. 
Also, I've had a buck come eat in the yard frequently, along with the does I put oats out for, but the rules of the "Geneva Convention" forbid me to shoot guests!  LOL.

Best,
R.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 10:06am
Agree totally about the Geneva Convention rules. We do take deer legs, head, etc out to a farm we have permission to shoot coyotes at. We've been pretty successful this year and the 'yotes have nice coats. We take the animal as is to and old fellow out of town and get $25-40 per, depending on size and condition. We've got 12 so far. We donate our deer hides to Hides for Habitat.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 11:11am
I have a friend who tans the deer hides then makes vests and etc. (leather goods).
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 11:50am
I thought of trying that once, but after looking into it, a lot of work. And now since we downsized, I don't have a good spot to use (maybe my wife's bathroom?)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic