Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enfield No 8, decocking question...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islandguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enfield No 8, decocking question...
    Posted: December 06 2019 at 2:05pm
Hi all.
Lately I have been having a light strikes issue with my 1949 No 8 MKI 22 trainer. Normally, after a range session and before it goes back into the safe, I decock the rifle by holding the cocking piece and pulling the trigger as I ease it into the fired position. I am concerned that if this is not the correct way to decock the rifle that I may have been weakening one of the springs. Is this a possibility? I've not found anything in the manual that covers this, so if anyone has any advice or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thx
Islandguy
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2019 at 2:45pm
With Enfields, just hold the trigger back when you are closing the bolt and it won't cock in the first place. Decocking is fine, the whole thing is that you just don't want to keep it stored cocked for long periods.
islandguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islandguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2019 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Bear43 Bear43 wrote:

With Enfields, just hold the trigger back when you are closing the bolt and it won't cock in the first place. Decocking is fine, the whole thing is that you just don't want to keep it stored cocked for long periods.

I've done that with the .303 Lee Enfields that I've owned in the past, but the Enfield No 8 is a cock-on-opening design.
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 12:39am

The No8 is not a standard type of cocking system - in fact the cocking is achieved by simply lifting and 'dropping' the bolt handle, there is no need to move the bolt at all (except for loading / ejecting).

Islandguy :

Have you looked at the tip of the striker ? is it the correct shape / length ?

I don't know which manual you have but I have the War Office "Users Handbook" dated 1961, if you would like a copy drop me a PM with your email and I'll forward a copy to you.

Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 6:14am
As the Armourer says.  lower the bolt steadily while holding the trigger back. That's what I do.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 12:11pm
Ah, my mistake. I am not familiar with the No 8, as you can tell. Thanks for the correction.
islandguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islandguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 3:19pm

Ah, my mistake. I am not familiar with the No 8, as you can tell. Thanks for the correction.

Not to worry. The No 8 is a different kettle of fish than it`s bigger, older predecessors.
islandguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islandguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Stanforth Stanforth wrote:

As the Armourer says.  lower the bolt steadily while holding the trigger back. That's what I do.

That`s the method I have been using. Just wanted to know if it was SOP for decocking the No 8.
Thx Stanforth

islandguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islandguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 3:22pm
That is the same manual I have Armourer.
Thx

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 11:34pm
I think your procedure is OK. I just close the bolt with the trigger pulled back with my No8's as well.
Have not had light srtike issues with the No8.
What ammo are you using? I had a problem with my SMLE .22 and a change of ammo seems to have sorted the problem; as firing pin seems to be in spec'.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2019 at 1:45am
I had light strike issues with my No.8 when I first got it but, with lubrication and use, they have gone away.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
islandguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islandguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2019 at 11:39pm
Sorry to have taken so long to get back to the thread guys. We had an aircraft crash on the island less than 150 meters from our house Tuesday evening, so it's been a bit hectic around here this week.
Zed, I've been using CCI Std Vel ammo almost exclusively, and it has always been reliable and accurate. When I experience the misfires, it always detonates when I recock the rifle and try it a second time. I will give it a try with some different ammo.
Stanforth, thanks for the tip. The bolt face was a bit crudded up, so I cleaned it and the rest of the action and will try it again next week when I have some time to get down to the range.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 6:53am
You might also try cleaning up inside the wood where the trigger mechanism lives. fossilized grease in there can cause similar problems.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
islandguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islandguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 8:11pm
Hi all. Today was the first opportunity I've had to get the No 8 to the range. After thoroughly cleaning the bolt face and chamber area, the first and only 15 rounds fired discharged normally. The first 5 were warm-up rounds that registered 5 for 5 on a 2"dia. steel gong at 50 yards, and the 2nd 10 scored a ragged 100 on a NRA A-23 50 yard target, so it appears that the light strikes problem is solved. There was a significant build-up of "crud" on the bolt face before I began cleaning. Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 12:14am
Thanks for the update; sounds like she's working just fine now.
These are great rifles; I do love shooting the .22's
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
islandguy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islandguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

Thanks for the update; sounds like she's working just fine now.
These are great rifles; I do love shooting the .22's

Yep, she works just fine now Zed. Had it down to the range yesterday and it shot really well, considering the wintery conditions. However, I'm getting an itchy trigger finger and would like to move onto another rifle, so my No 8 is going up for sale.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic