Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The 308 Vulkan range report!! Place your bets now!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The 308 Vulkan range report!! Place your bets now!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 308 Vulkan range report!! Place your bets now!
    Posted: December 13 2019 at 11:46am
Preface: (I did not favor one load over another)
All tests were done without bias between the three different bullets. All testing was done at a distance of 100 yards. Fifteen minutes from start to finish during testing and fifteen minutes of cool down between testings were established. Temperature was 47°F and winds were from the east at 7.2 mph.

The initial baseline testing was done with my Savage M10.
Test results are as follows.  #1: Sierra 168grn TMK =0.7135" . #2: Hornady 168grn A-Max =0.6080"  #3: Norma 180grn Vulkan =0.7125"

The follow up tests were done using 7.62mm No4Mk2 Enfield. 
Test results are as follows.  #1: Sierra 168grn TMK =1.1765"  #2: Hornady 168grn A-Max =0.6205"  #3: Norma 180grn Vulkan =0.8930"

My finalized finding is that,the Vulkan with a 12 grain difference in weight and a flat base is more accurate then the Sierra TMK and the Hornady A-Max has the flattest trajectory and tighter group then both the Vulkan and TMK. The Vulkan in my opinion has a better grouping from both rifles and stayed consistent during both testings...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 1:23pm
Damn fine shooting Goosic!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 1:26pm
I place blame on the rifles. I just squeeze the trigger...Wink
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 3:56pm
It will be even more interesting to see how repeatable these results are Goosic.  The accuracy of all three bullets are very close.  I assume 10 shots off the bench?  

Remarkable accuracy, groups approaching 1/2 MOA.  No question, the most accurate Lee Enfield ever built.  
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 4:12pm
Hi Goosic,
is it one of the Lee Enfield converted to .308??
Cheers
Philtno
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 4:43pm
britrifles. 
Look at all six targets and notice how two different rifles produced almost the same shot patterns for each load.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2019 at 4:48pm
philtno.
It is a No4Mk2 receiver that I installed a 2A1 7.62 barrel onto. I call it the, R.Y.N.O. Mk2. (Rip You a New One)Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2019 at 12:45pm
I’ve been trying for several years to shoot 10 consecutive shots within the X ring on the SR target at 200 yards with my No. 4 (both .303 and 7.62).   The target that Goosic used for his No. 4 7.62 is the same target, but scaled down for 100 yards.  I’ve not been successful, 8 rounds is the highest I’ve got to shooting prone, with sling, aperture sight (no scope).  

That X ring on the SR-1 target is 1.35 inches in diameter.  Any bullet that breaks the score ring counts, so the center to center group size can be a bit larger (1.35 + .31 = 1.66) and still be counted a in the X ring.  

Goosic, looks like you can get there with that Vulcan bullet in your No. 4.  Just dial the scope down one click and reshoot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2019 at 1:04pm
Here is the target.  Shot from my UF56 No. 4 Mk 2 with PH 5C sight prone in sling last August.

The two wide shots just missed the X ring, a 10.9.  But I’ve shot hundreds of targets, probably close to 1000 in my score book.  In no way a typical group.  

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2019 at 6:52pm
The sole purpose here was for me to access the claims the Norma Representative put forth concerning the Vulkan bullets. As far as each baseline target and their individual groups? I used a five shot sight in target and made no adjustments to the scope,using the MilDots on the crosshairs only to place my shots accordingly. Both scopes are matched and zeroed for 100 yards identically. The  No4Mk2 used on the secondary SR-1 targets was just for accuracy  comparisons between the rifles. As I stated in the preface, I did this with no biased opinion and fired every shot identical to the first. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic