Found it! (No5 bayo lug removal)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Found it! (No5 bayo lug removal)
    Posted: January 21 2020 at 8:13pm
i find mine to be quite fun on the rare occasions i take it out to the range , i wont pretend it is my favorite to shoot but then again it does intrigue me more on those outings , its got that look and feel a lot of what draws attention at the range is what draws us to these rifles and makes us wish we shot them better , 

i have found i dont shoot any all that well anymore - i can hit my targets when i can see them these days but im not kidding myself into thinking ill blame my rifle for not hitting what im aiming for any more , i cant see - its not going to get  better - its getting worse , i believe my no 5 shoots better than i can , not sayin much anymore tho ...........
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 11:37am
Worst recoil I can recall was with my 1903 Springfield. Man..I can STILL feel it all these years later.(Hmmm...maybe thats why my shoulder is giving out now.)
That nasty piece of work was in absolute CHERRY condition...but I could only take a max of 2 shots with it before I hurt too much!
Sold it back Stateside. Kinda wish I still had it..just to look at.
Loose wimmen tightened here
Zormpas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zormpas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 8:19am
NICE article!

An anecdote: I had both my #5 and my M1 Garand at a shooting event last year. A young lad wanted to shoot the M1 - and the reverence this kid had for that rifle was obvious as soon as I handed it to him. He shot 24 rds through it and loved it!

Later, I had the #5 at the firing line, and asked him if he wanted to give it a try. 10 rounds was enough for him - kicks like a mule!

I've since replaced (but retained) the old, hard rubber butt pad with a much softer repro. It'll be interesting to see if it makes the kick better - or worse!
-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2019 at 2:13pm
Good point.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2019 at 9:38am
At least you won't need to search for a bayonet Shamu! that'll save you a few quid!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2019 at 8:35am
This is funny the thread has taken a complete U turn from my intent!
Tongue
I was quoting the article because of the reference to the bayonet lug removal, but everyone went in a different direction!
My No5 has the bayo lug removed & I was told it was done as this article says. No one believed me & my rifle was "Junk" because of the unofficial "butchering"!

"After the Confrontation war, the Malaysian army began phasing out the Jungle Carbine. Many were passed to the Police Field Force, a paramilitary law enforcement force which was basically a light infantry unit trained for internal security duties in the jungle. The Police Field Force used the No.5 Mk.I into the early 1970s, and retained some in storage until the force was rolled into the Royal Malaysia Police’s new General Operations Force in 1997. Many Jungle Carbines which entered the worldwide sport shooting and collector’s markets in the early 2000s are ex-Police Field Force, identified by a letter “P” marking and two- or three-digit serial on the buttstock. Many of the ex-Malaysian No.5 Mk.Is had the bayonet lug removed."

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2019 at 7:58am
They do buck! And lift! I originally had some old 220 gr CIL's I loaded up and shot out of it. Thumb hit nose, but no blood! Big bullet, short stock... it's a fun rifle though. And loud!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2019 at 7:40am
I've heard of people throwing bags of like ball bearings into the butt stock of a No 5 to help tame the recoil. It remains as the only rifle I have ever needed to use a recoil pad with. Man that thing rocked my world.
pisco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2019 at 8:09am
hi i bought a no5 years ago it was fitted with a no4 barrel that i cut down to no5 dimensions it shot like a demon should never had sold it there was never a problem with a wondering zero
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2019 at 7:06am

The No.5 probably met most of its original design requirements – to be conveniently carried in difficult conditions and hit man-sized targets when occasionally fired at close range. From the modern user’s perspective rather disappointing -   mediocre accuracy at short range, disappointing at long and a kick which is not compensated by results.  But what else can one expect from a light rifle with a short barrel firing a full-powered cartridge?  Had the Mo.5  fully met expectations, it would not have been replaced by the No.4 Mk 2.

I have three, all of which I have shot. Wandering zero? I really don’t know, but they remain in my collection as historic wall-hangers with an outside value which is most likely based upon a romantic nickname!

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2019 at 5:21am
Mine can consistently hit a six inch pie plate at 100 yards with factory sites. Good enough for me!
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2019 at 5:17am
Well - I'm the opposite. I can't hit squat with mine! I swear I wouldn't hit my foot if I pointed it at it!! Then again - my hunt partner (whom just passed away) - would pick it up, fire twice & pronounce it "spot on". (Rotter!!)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 7:15pm
Very nice article.  I am one of those individuals who can attest to the rifles attributes. I can also say that I have not experienced any wandering zero with my rifle in its original .303 guise and in it new 7.62 dress.
terrylee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 5:25pm
Thanks, Shamu. An excellent article about an interesting but defective rifle.
flatheadsal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatheadsal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 12:18pm
an interesting read, thanks!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2019 at 10:55am
I knew I'd read this somewhere but it took for ever to actually locate it on the way-back machine!

"After the Confrontation war, the Malaysian army began phasing out the Jungle Carbine. Many were passed to the Police Field Force, a paramilitary law enforcement force which was basically a light infantry unit trained for internal security duties in the jungle. The Police Field Force used the No.5 Mk.I into the early 1970s, and retained some in storage until the force was rolled into the Royal Malaysia Police’s new General Operations Force in 1997. Many Jungle Carbines which entered the worldwide sport shooting and collector’s markets in the early 2000s are ex-Police Field Force, identified by a letter “P” marking and two- or three-digit serial on the buttstock. Many of the ex-Malaysian No.5 Mk.Is had the bayonet lug removed."

https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/2015/11/04/no-5-mk-i-jungle-carbine-post-wwii-use/

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic