Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Loads for .311 150 gr Spire Point

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rewster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loads for .311 150 gr Spire Point
    Posted: December 31 2019 at 5:21am
In the process of making up some test loads with H4895. Lee, Lyman and Sierra manuals all address this. Does anyone have an accurate load for use in a Savage MK 4 they would be willing to share ? Usually use 180 gr RN with good results. First attempts with 150 gr.

regards....roger
The only time I ever said "no" to a drink was when I misunderstood the question.

Will Sinclair
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2019 at 5:14pm
Two of my No4's love 150gr Spire Points and I use H4895 exclusively. One is a range queen and I put 38 gr of powder in those. Really nice groups. The other is my main deer rifle and it's a Sporter with a bobbed barrel. It likes 39 gr of H4895. Groups are tight and drops deer like thunder. Neither rifle is a Savage so I'm not sure this is of much help, but it might be.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2019 at 7:06pm
he!!o and welcome from Phoenix Arizona. 
My most accurate load for my No4mk1* Savage in to use Hornady cases primed with WLRM primers, charged with exactly 40.0 grains of Norma 202 powder,and then topped off with Hornady 174grn Graf BTHP bullets. 
rewster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rewster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 6:38am
Originally posted by Honkytonk Honkytonk wrote:

Two of my No4's love 150gr Spire Points and I use H4895 exclusively. One is a range queen and I put 38 gr of powder in those. Really nice groups. The other is my main deer rifle and it's a Sporter with a bobbed barrel. It likes 39 gr of H4895. Groups are tight and drops deer like thunder. Neither rifle is a Savage so I'm not sure this is of much help, but it might be.

Thanks for the reply ! Both Lee and Lyman have 38 grs at the low end of the loads. Sierra starts at 36.1 and goes up to 38.7 for 2500 fps. Since I don't need a lot of velocity to poke holes in paper, that's where I'll probably start. Thanks again !!

regards....roger
The only time I ever said "no" to a drink was when I misunderstood the question.

Will Sinclair
rewster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rewster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 6:43am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

he!!o and welcome from Phoenix Arizona. 
My most accurate load for my No4mk1* Savage in to use Hornady cases primed with WLRM primers, charged with exactly 40.0 grains of Norma 202 powder,and then topped off with Hornady 174grn Graf BTHP bullets. 

Phoenix !!! One of my favorite places ! That is one fine looking weapon. Looks like it shoots pretty good, too

regards....roger

Will Sinclair
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 8:07am
Roger.
Hornady gives you a starting charge of 29.9 grains of the H4895 with a maximum charge of 38.9. If this is your first time loading this particular bullet with that powder,start with the baseline minimum weight given from any reliable reloading manual,never exceeding the maximum charges. 
rewster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rewster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 8:39am
Goosic:

Thanks for the info. I have an old Hornady manual from 1967 that ius quite a bit more liberal with it's 4895 loadings !!!!!! A starting load of 36.9 going all the way up to 42.9 for max ! How times do change ! I've always been quite conservative with my loads. No need for a hot load in paper punching !

regards....roger

PS Do the Mods ever take new members out of moderation purgatory earlier than 20 posts ???    

Will Sinclair
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 8:48am
I'm afraid not, I know its annoying but its the best way to keep spammers out.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 11:05am
Knowledge is King. I was reloading to spec's in an old Hodgdon manual. If you go on line to Hodgdon Load Data, it has what I assume is the latest load info for Hodgdon and IMR powder. I typed in .303, 150 gr projectile, and H4895... starting load is 36 gr (2447 ft/sec), max load is 40 gr (2627 ft/sec). Again. This is for H4895, which you said you want to use, and it's what I use exclusively for 150's and 180 gr projectiles.
rewster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rewster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 11:23am
I'm starting with 4 test loads: 37.5 / 38 / 38.5 / 40

Tomorrow, I'll put them together. When I get to shoot them is dependent on the weather (really the temp !).

regards....roger

Will Sinclair
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 12:02pm
All data was taken from currently up to date materials.  
Various load data using a .311-.312 150grain bullet using H4895 powder from minimum to maximum charges with all cases with a Trim To Length of 2.212"

Lyman     38.0 to 42.0.        Federal 210 primer              C.O.L. 2.975"
Sierra       36.1 to 38.7.       Remington  9 1/2 primer    C.O.L. 3.075"
Hodgson 36.0 to 40.0         Federal  210 primer.            C.O.L. 2.995"
Hornady  29.9 to 38.9.        WLR primer                           C.O.L. 2.935"
The mean average taken here from all four resources comes out to 37.45 just as an FYI. 

My personal thinking on this one would be to just load the cartridges with exactly 38.0 grains of the H4895 and go have fun.
rewster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rewster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 12:57pm
"My personal thinking on this one would be to load the cartridges with exactly 38.0 grains of the H4895 and go have fun."

I like your thinking !    It is going to be cold (a given) and I have other loads to work out. I'll take your advice. When the deed is done, you'll be the first to know the results !!!   

Will Sinclair
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2020 at 2:37pm
HT is right on, don’t rely on an old reloading manual, especially if your contemplating approaching max charge.  Powder manufacturers have changed their formulations over the years.  If your loading H4895 (and not IMR 4895, they are not the same), go to Hodgdons website.   

H4895 has some unique properties as it ignites and burns with consistent pressures with light loads.  It can be used effectively with cast bullets as well.  You can load it to lower velocities than the “minimum” charge of 38 gr listed for the 150 gr bullet.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic