Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lee Speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lee Speed
    Posted: January 03 2020 at 6:50am
he!!o. I mentioned I may have lost my mind again and am considering purchasing a Lee Speed. As with most Lee's, my knowledge is just enough to realize I don't know much. My questions to members is this; can you shoot "modern" .303 British reloads? If so, would a heavier projectile be better? Lastly. Is the chance of a poor rifle bore greater because of the propellent originally used in these rifles? Thanks!
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 2:51pm
Welcome to the nut house!

Just like any rifle, it all depends upon how the rifle was maintained. Corrosive primers are the culprit and poor cleaning habits destroy bores, yes. But I find that with these sporters, the owners generally looked after them, probably due to their no small sum to purchase.

But, who knows where they have been in past or recent years.

You can find them in a number of calibers, they are nitro proofed, so yes, safe to use with modern commercial ammunition. I have my sights set on one chambered in .375 Flanged Nitro Express. Elephant gun!

Like all rifles, there will be a sweet spot for charge and bullet. Part of the fun is hand loading for it to get maximum performance. They can be surprisingly accurate if the bedding is not messed with.

Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2020 at 3:23pm
Would a .375 Calibre take a way a lot of the meat of the barrel walls? Or did they use a fatter barrel? I know so little about these rifles.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 7:36am
Honks,
The barrels are usually the same thickness as the L-M or Long Lee, so a tad heavier than the No 4 and  a good deal thicker than than No 1 Mk 111.
Load-wise, most I believe were set up for 215 grain pills.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 8:07am
I'm still on the fence about getting a Lee Speed. Not because they aren't cool, but do I need another rifle? My oddessy in getting a No1 MkIII ended too late in the fall to shoot it alot at the range. I have 3 Range Queens that I shoot regularly, plus a No5 and two sporters I like to get limbered up in the fall. I feel one of them would get neglected if I got another. I say that now, but I'm guessing once Stuart sends me pics, that tune will change!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 12:36pm
Yes. You need another rifle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 12:38pm
Just one more.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 3:38pm
"Collectors Corner" In St James, MD is into that stuff & they're close by me. They usually seem to have a  few of the older Lees in stock. If its any help & you can deal with importing into Canada I'd be glad to be your hands in the store if you get stuck.

17619 Lappans Rd, Ste C, Saint James, MD 21781

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 5:15pm
Shamu, that is most gracious! I used to get a huge book published by Gunpartscorp (I believe Numrich bought them) years ago. I ordered many older bits and pieces from them. I live in Canada and receiving parts wasn't an issue. Then for some change in the US political scene, that access dried up. I've tried to order several bits and pieces from Numrich in the last year. Nope. Can't imagine what trying to get a rifle legally shipped over the border would be like. Hopefully in time things may change. Thanks again for the offer.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2020 at 7:25pm
Its a dealer-to dealer only thing. But these guys run a web business & do gun-shows so they could probably make it fairly painless.
Fair disclosure these are a bit out of my specialty, I'm a SMLE No4/No5 kinda guy.
Its an old time shop in the back of the general store!Thumbs Up
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2020 at 5:30am
In that case, it would be a pleasure to have you as a proxy! At least we both may learn more about these rifles. Thanks!
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2020 at 6:11am
If a fire arm is allowed in Canada and one has the appropriate license, for an added fee, there are import brokers who bring firearm across the boarder.
I use Aztec armories. They do all the paper work a.nd once cleared its delivered to your door.
Easy peezy, but costs.
There are lee speeds, long lees and lec's here in Canada, you may find about the same cost here as it would be paying exchange and brokerage.
What I've seen lately the price for decent antique LE's is around the $1500-$3000 mark, some cheaper ones but they're usually pretty rough or sported.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2020 at 6:15am
Theres a couple on gunpost.ca listed.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2020 at 6:16am
'''seems to me that if it's classified as an "antique" (ie: over 100 yrs old) it may qualify for "hassel free importation?

Gonna hafta look that up again
Loose wimmen tightened here
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2020 at 6:20am
All good info for the Lee Speed project... although that price mentioned made me pucker!
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2020 at 6:56am
Somebody call my name??  :-)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic