Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > New Members
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member from Orlando FL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member from Orlando FL
    Posted: January 08 2020 at 1:47pm
he!!o,

I have just joined this forum with the hopes of learning more about the Enfield rifle. What has prompted my interest is my 84 yr. old Father-in-Law. He, and his family, emigrated from the UK a few decades ago and only recently he was telling me stories about his father. 

His father enlisted in the British army 1939 and was issued an Enfield.  As my Father-in-law has never touched a firearm, I thought I'd like to introduce him to 'America' gun sports. Also, I'd like to see if I can track down a version of the rifle his father might have handled along with any history I can track down. I think that would make a great gift as I know it would be something quite profound for him. 

At the other end of the generation track, I am hand building  several 1911's to hand down to my children. So I enjoy the sport as well as the history. I have a sneaking suspicion that I have stumbled onto a very deep well. 

I think this is going to be a great fall. 
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 6:51am
Welcome from North Carolina!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 7:53am
Welcome from British Columbia, Canada!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 8:06am
Welcome from Brandon, Manitoba, Canada!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 10:27am
Welcome.
In 1939 he'd have been issued "Old Smelliie", a "Rifle No1 MkIII*", the No 4 didn't come out for a couple of years yet.
It would have looked pretty much like this: (Right click >> view Image >> "+" to enlarge for details)
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 10:45am
That's actually a great picture. Would make a most excellent Man-Cave poster!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 12:18pm
Welcome from Atlanta GA.  Sometimes, in Blue Ridge GA. 
Great pic Sham, I'd like to blow that up to full size and put it up in my gun room.
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 1:23pm
Welcome from The Great White North.

Must be my OCD, but there is a piece missing in the pic of the Lithgow and it is bugging me. If I made a poster of it, I would have to draw it in with pencil.

Pop quizz! Wot is missing?

Not a piece hiding mounted in the wood set or on the barreled action. 

The piece is something that should be shown in the pic. I know with some certainty that they had to remove it on disassembly to produce the picture. 

????

Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 1:49pm
You've come to the right place for that Smile
Welcome from Picton New Zealand Thumbs Up
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 1:51pm
 That metal clamp to attach the little wood bit to the barrel?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 2:09pm
Wot??

Nope. Cold, almost freezing.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 2:16pm
The leather stock bolt washer?
Or the spring?
Both?
Dead
I can add those easily first.

The original is 361/2" X 24 1/4" (almost) File is 772Kb
If you have an e-mail that will take a file that big I can e mail it to you.
Staples or a similar dealer could output the file to you relatively inexpensively, even laminate it if you wanted.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 2:53pm
A pint of Guiness?
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 3:53pm
No matter! I'd like that as a framed poster as well!!
(Hang it on my bedroom cieling!)
Loose wimmen tightened here
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 5:18pm
Welcome from Texas
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 6:12pm
Warmer, it is at the butt end.

I printed one off for the wall, got me a pencil out and drew in a trap door pin.

They would have to drive it out to remove the trap door. Not in the pic. Maybe they dropped it on the shag pile carpet? (I hate when that happens)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic