Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Bayonets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No7MkI/L arrived...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No7MkI/L arrived...
    Posted: January 09 2020 at 1:18pm
It's dirty,greasy,caked with cosmoline, and it smells funny. I like it!!!
Everything as far as the twisty bit goes,works flawlessly.  I have found only 4 stamps. The No7MkI/L,a V, a broad arrow, and M47A.
I do not intend to ever relinquish ownership of this bayonet and have therefore decided to restore it to what it might have looked like when it was first assembled. I was told that I now have two of the most sought out bayonets for the No4 rifle,the SM No4Mk1 cruciform and the BSA No7MkI (even though it was intended for another weapon). I think in doing okay so far...Thumbs Up
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 1:35pm
This is all the info I could find on it doing an interweb search.

No. 7 Mk. I/LThe No. 7 Mk. I/L was a very innovative and complex design, with a unique swiveling pommel. Part knife bayonet and part socket bayonet, the No. 7 Mk. I/L would mount to the Lee Enfield No. 4 rifleand the Mk. V Sten submachine gun.

The No. 7 Mk. I/L (number seven, mark one, land service) was intended to address a number of desires:

1) Replace the No. 4 spike bayonet     (that nobody liked);
2) Utilize the clip-point blade of the     No. 5 Mk. I bayonet (that     everybody liked); and,
3) Serve a dual role as a fighting     knife.

Despite all of it's ingenuity, the No. 7 Mk. I/L came to prove the old adage that a camel is a horse, as designed by committee. Although capable of mounting to the No. 4 rifle, these bayonets were not issued as such, only being used with the No. 4 rifle for ceremonial purposes.

The grip scales are made of a resin impregnated cloth composite, Paxolin, and have deep finger grooves to allow use as a fighting knife. Examples are also found with black grips.

176,000 No. 7 Mk. I/L bayonets were produced. The design was perfected by the Wilkinson Sword Co., who produced 1,000 bayonets in 1944. Mass production was carried out by four manufacturers from 1945–1948:

Birmingham Small Arms, Ltd. —25,000;

Elkington & Co. Ltd., Birmingham —20,000;

Royal Ordnance Factory, Poole —30,000; and,

Royal Ordnance Factory, Newport —100,000.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 1:40pm
IIRC "M47A" is BSA Small Heath (Nr Birmingham)
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 6:30pm
congrats - a black one in deed , very nice , 

ive only found poole in mine - the least prolific , you found a BSA i was looking for - congrats , clean it and i think you will be happy , it saw little use , should clean up real nice , 

they were intended for more than one use - the no4 being one so i think your spot on having it in your collection , it is unique in this realm , 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 8:50pm
It was horrendous on the inside. I'm cleaning everything in hot water using Dawn dishwashing detergent, a toothbrush and wash rag. If you've ever wondered what a totally disassembled No7MkI bayonet looks like...Hug
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2020 at 10:16pm
Cleaned up,lightly greased, and reassembled.  Amazingly, nothing needed to be,"touched up". I am extremely happy that I was able to aquire this bayonet...
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 12:53am
That's cleaned up nicely. Great addition to your collection.
Do you have a No9 Bayonet as well?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 5:06am
Tucked away somewhere, I have a Savage made spike bayonet and a No9 blade type. 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Zed Zed wrote:

That's cleaned up nicely. Great addition to your collection.
Do you have a No9 Bayonet as well?
Found the rest of the stabby bits Zed. From top to bottom. 
No7MkI/L
1941 No4Mk1 cruciform
1961 POF No9Mk1
No4MkII Savage made 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 11:25am
Wow! I had no idea they were that complex internally.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2020 at 11:34am
That's a nice sticker!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 5:24pm
nice catch - nice job - nice collection , congrats all the way around , 

shamu - i have never taken mine apart that far either so i would not have guessed that , the other no4s were much simpler 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 6:24pm
There was an old B&W movie I went to with my dad back in the early 60's "The Backroom Boys" or similar.
It was a tale of the science labs behind the war effort, highly fictionalized.
One running gag they had was the 2 "boffins" inventing a new bayonet. every time they appeared it had more gadgets & more tools for more uses.
By the end of the movie it was a kind of "Swiss Army Bayonet" with all sorts of increasingly daft things.
Finally the frustrated boss sits them down & says.
"GENTLEMEN!
While it is brilliant you have to understand the average Tommy only ever uses a bayonet to open a tin of corned beef"!

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2020 at 6:33pm
I popped open a can of cat food with it yesterday Big smile...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 6:30am
Tongue
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2020 at 12:03pm
Nice one!! Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic