Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nasty!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nasty!
    Posted: January 14 2020 at 3:24pm
Weve got a little snow the last few days. Since we are retired, my wife and I shovel the sidewalk on our whole block (wouldn't get done otherwise.) I thought it was a little chilly this morning, as I had to replace my toque with my plaid Elmer Fudd hat. After we were done, I checked the weather. -47C with the wind chill. I believe all of Western Canada is experiencing the same.Hang tough, brothers! Remember... WE ARE CANADIAN!!!! (Going to Mexico for 10 days at the end of the month. Enough of this bull-s*#t!!)
42rocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 3:43pm
For us Fla folks 80 to 85 last few days and lows above 70. Cut the grass on Sunday. 
More on this later. 

Later 42rocker
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 3:52pm
I has "de skonk" fer days like dat!
(actually, being older & so, supposedly smarter I just stay indoors now.)

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 5:03pm
+70 degrees
Texans turn on the heat and unpack the thermal underwear.
People in Canada go swimming in the Lakes.
+60 degrees
North Carolinians try to turn on the heat.
People in Canada plant gardens.
+50 degrees
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in Canada sunbathe.
+40 degrees
Italian & English cars won't start.
People in Canada drive with the windows down.
+32 degrees
Distilled water freezes.
Lake Superior's water gets thicker.
+20 degrees
Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, and woolly hats.
People in Canada throw on a flannel shirt.
+15 degrees
Philadelphia landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in Canada have the last cookout before it gets cold.
0 degrees
People in Miami all die...
Canadians lick the flagpole.
20 below
Californians fly away to Mexico.
People in Canada get out their winter coats.
40 below
Hollywood disintegrates.
The Girl Scouts in Canada are selling cookies door to door.
60 below
Polar bears begin to evacuate the Arctic.
Canadian Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets cold enough.
80 below
Mt. St. Helens freezes.
People in Canada rent some videos.
100 below
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Canadians get frustrated because they can't thaw the keg.
297 below
Microbial life no longer survives on dairy products.
Cows in Canada complain about farmers with cold hands.
460 below
ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero in the Kelvin scale).
People in Canada start saying, "Eh, Cold 'nuff for ya?"
500 below
he!! freezes over.
The Leafs win the Stanley Cup
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 5:24pm
That is funny!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 6:17pm
I'll come up with something similar come July when it gets to 116°-120°F here...
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2020 at 7:32pm
Minus 40C here this morning.  They tell us it was minus 50 with wind-chill, but I don't count that.

Had a few shots yesterday, Sw Mauser.    Hit OK on the 400m target, from a shaky rest.  It was only minus 27c then, or minus 16.6 F if you prefer.. but a miserable stiff breeze.
(open sights)

Today not bad, as no wind. Cut and trimmed poles to finish the "Foxhole" position, Need a few more it seems, just to build up a shooting rest....
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 4:45am
I lived in Canada for nearly 40 years, and what HT described for Canadians is all true, down to about 20 below zero.  Then it gets just a bit exaggerated, just a bit...
The coldest day I experienced when I lived in Leduc, AB was 45 deg F below zero, -56 with the wind chill. I think July was the only month we didn't get snow. 
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 5:56am
Our city has several Community Centres, all with outdoor hockey and skating rink. My wife and I go for a 1/2 neighbourhood walk every night regardless of weather. Although we have been going threw a cold spell, there has never been less than 6-8 boys and girls out skating and slapping a puck around at our local rink. It's really great to see in this age of electronic devices. Now, to get them to the range!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 6:18am
When I travel back up north to the remote location where my Dad lives, I shoot his No. 4(T) in the winter across the ice, it's the only time I can shoot past 100 yards (hard to find a 100 yard clear shot thru the bush).  He lives alone on the lake for most of the winter months.  It's a shock going from a winter day here in the South East (sometimes as warm as 70 deg F) to up there and it's below zero.  Takes me a few days to acclimatize.  
The CMP range in Talladega, AB where I shoot is cleared out when the temps drop below 40 deg.  Perfect temp for me.

As a kid, we would shovel the snow off the ponds near home and play hockey on the ice.  I wondered if many kids still do that. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 6:58am
I'll never forget the month I spent in Bloomington MN one week.
I ws there on a training course & we got blizzarded in. The hotel ran low on food & switched to buffet style & we went swimming in 3' of snow in the indoor/outdoor pool. It was heated & had giant sliding glass doors to cut off the outside part, but we discovered they didn't go ore than 3" under the water so you could simply dive under them (which of course we did). we didn't realize that people were laughing & pointing at us because our hair froze, so we looked like those Japanese monkeys that live in the hot springs!
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8c/Jigokudani_hotspring_in_Nagano_Japan_001.jpg
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 7:28am
Sham,

We have looked the same, when in the hot-pools in the mountains!
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 7:52am
Hey, 

I love in North Carolina and I turn the heat on when it drops below 32.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 9:09am
BritRifles, I have a good buddy who lives in Wainwright, AB. I was in Leduc twice last fall. It gets brutally cold and windy and the snow...oh my the snow!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2020 at 12:41pm
Ya, we turn the heat on at 32 also, otherwise stuff starts to freeze.

Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic