Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holy Grail....Really???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holy Grail....Really???
    Posted: January 16 2020 at 1:45pm
Hi Guys, 
just came across this today 
Is it really THAT rare?? 
I would really appreciate your expertise on this Smile
Cheers

Philtno
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 2:10pm
No!
Savage made more .303 No4 Mk1* than all the British ROFs combined.
Unfired condition (if its truly unfired) would make it rare but not THAT special. The one image that would support that is missing, a close up of the bolt face.
Most of the rest of the write up is bogus as well.
"U.S. PROPERTY" was only engraved on guns that were earmarked for Lend Lease & although some have been found without it its by no means "commonly ground off"

There's an old saying in the gun buying biz. "Buy the gun, not the story"!
It applies here.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 2:51pm
I see a fair bit of marking of the bolt from rotation.  It doesn't look that different from my own Savage.  I'd be suspicious that this is a "unfired" "unissued" rifle.  Maybe just had a NOS stock put on. 
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 2:51pm
Anybody who buys that story and spends that kind of money deserves to be burned on the deal. AT MOST I would think that rifle is worth about 1K on a good day with no wind blowing and clear skies. Quite the sales job IMHO. Notice it has an early 'low wall' fore end, indicative of an early made rifle. The date of 1942 has been lined out.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 2:57pm
Sham, I believe only Long Branch and Savage made the No. 4 Mk I*.  I think Long Branch made appox 900,000 rifles.  Savage over 1M. 

The obvious difference is the Mk I* does not have the bolt release catch on the right side of the receiver, it has a slot in the bolt head track just aft of the breach. 

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 4:02pm
The serial number has another number stamped over it,with a third number stamped vertical. Savage would not have made those marks from the factory. The magazine and bolt were not issued to that rifle originally as well. 
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 4:27pm
its a nice savage rifle , i do not know how rare they might be on your side of the pond but quite common here and $500-700 would buy the nicest , they quit producing in 44 at about a million and a quarter pieces , 

others have pointed out the other items that would negate spending that much - you can find a nice rifle at a better price , is there any issue with your owning it in 303 ? i thought i recalled hearing most to be converted from "military" to "hunting" calibers- i may be wrong and not at all certain why that would make any sense to anyone including liberal[commies] 
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 6:06pm
Yep, thank you all for your comments.....that's what I thought.  This guy seems to be selling more a story  than a rifle worth that price...Thumbs Up
SW28fan View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SW28fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 6:09pm
Whenever I see "rare U.S. property Mark" I tune out. The only unissued Lee Enfield came in a Mummy Wrap.
Have a Nice Day
If already having a nice day please disregard
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

its a nice savage rifle , i do not know how rare they might be on your side of the pond but quite common here and $500-700 would buy the nicest , .....is there any issue with your owning it in 303 ? i thought i recalled hearing most to be converted from "military" to "hunting" calibers- i may be wrong and not at all certain why that would make any sense to anyone including liberal[commies] 

A Square 10: Not too sure to understand your question...about having issues with owning 303's???
I bought mine for NZ$800....1943 Longbranch with plenty of history carved into the woodwork Big smile but still shooting very well, I reckon.  Not that difficult to find 303s here in NZ but the good ones are kind of rare as many have been butchered to "sporterize" them....and some are in very very very poor conditions......almost walking sticks!! Cry

philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by SW28fan SW28fan wrote:

The only unissued Lee Enfield came in a Mummy Wrap.
Like this one???
Even though.....I guess that there absolutely no guarantee that it's been unfired?? 
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 6:27pm
The collectability of that weapon has been greatly compromised due mainly to the mummy wrap being cut open to view the receiver. It is no longer in its original condition. 
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

The collectability of that weapon has been greatly compromised due mainly to the mummy wrap being cut open to view the receiver. It is no longer in its original condition. 
I understand what you mean but, isn't that a bit OTT as the only way to know what you have in front of you, I mean having evidence, is to "unveil" a bit of it which will let the "collectioneur" what they are buying? Would you buy a rifle in a mummy state without opening a minimum of its wrapping??
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2020 at 6:55pm
If I was an actual collector of unissued weapons still in the wax wrapper and it was tampered with,such as this one,allowing air to contact once sealed metal starting the oxidation process? I would pass on it. Those mummy wrapped Enfields usually have a paper tab with the serial number on it to indicate what is in the wrap. 
Poohbah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Poohbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 4:06am
I think its only worth $1200 tops.
The seller is trying to get the Jacinda bux out of shooters who are cashed up with after handing in their semi autos.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2020 at 6:42am
he!! Goosic, I think some of us could make a nice sideline, selling any old iron "Mummified!  :-)
Sounds like a plan!  :-)

I can't think of a more frustrating "curse"  (Curse of the mummy??)...Owning something you can't even Look at, never mind take out and use.
We get the same with folks buying toys new in the box,     I bet they all have nasty tempers (The owners, not the toys!) brought on by frustration...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic