Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is causing this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is causing this?
    Posted: January 19 2020 at 11:57am

Hi,
Went shooting yesterday and got this (see photos).
These rounds were actually made of saved HXP powder and projectiles.  
I didn't have any issue with the other rounds I reloaded...just 3 or 4 of these HXP saved powder.  Now, the original loading was 41 grains...I admit I pushed it to 42gn...could that be the cause?
The rifle was dry, no oil left or anything....and that greasy stuff was not smelling anything...gun oil has a very distinctive odour, at least the one I use...so it's shouldn't be that.
Have you guys experienced similar cases??
Cheers
Philtno
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 12:14pm
Oil residue coming out of the deep dark recesses of the breach.
Heat and recoil will release it.
Hapens to me on occation regardless as to how clean and dry you may got it.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 4:19pm
You've got me. I've never seen anything like it.
Is it solid is, like grease or liquid like oil?
My only though, & probably not too helpful is something got in through the gas vent hole somehow? That's the area in which it enters the chamber.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 4:23pm
Hi Shamu,
It's more like oil...at some point it reminds me of the nasty PCB-containing oil you find in transformers...if you see what I mean.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 4:30pm
Wild guess, was the rifle stored or kept muzzle down at some point recently?
The last time I saw anything like that it was old lube grease & cosmo that had been hiding inside the bolt body.
When I stood it muzzle down & dripped a little oil in it ran out the firing pin hole into the bore & chamber?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 4:55pm
I have had something very similar but mine was old gun oil and grease coming from the mating surfaces on the barrel and receiver threads leaching out into the chamber when I got the barrel a tad too hot...
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Wild guess, was the rifle stored or kept muzzle down at some point recently?
No, I always store them muzzle up in my safe.
Ermm
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2020 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

.....when I got the barrel a tad too hot...
Could maybe be the case with me as well I guess as it was relatively hot yesterday and the table is in full sun....plus I shot something like 80 rounds and those were the last one I shot....Ermm
I don't know.....really bizarre Smile
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 4:29am
Looks like bore cleaner/oil with a bit of powder fouling mixed in.   

Do you completely clean the chamber each time before you shoot?  That's one area I'm very consistent with; I wrap a patch around a chamber brush and apply some brake cleaner; I want the chamber squeaky clean to minimize the bolt thrust.  Then clean the chamber (and bore) again with powder solvent after you shoot. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic