Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yanking the Crank.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yanking the Crank.
    Posted: January 20 2020 at 11:02am
I've been very lax in my reloading so I had to play catch up.
I've emptied a can of Varget, a can of IMR3031 & a can of IMR4895.
All my 150 Gr Hornadys are loaded all of my 174 Gr Sierras are reloaded.
I finally finished the brick of Tula TUL KVB-7 *spit* primers, thank Gawd!
They go "bang" OK, but the cups are roughly finished & It think a hair oversized as I've had 2 Dillon primer fill tubes bind up with them.
I have reloaders cramp!Cry

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 12:20pm
I got some reloading done over the weekend as well. Finally opened my first pot of N140 powder for some test loads with 174grain SMK's. Look forward to see how it compares with the Vectan powder's I've been using.
Also got to play with my knew case prep tool from Lyman. Certainly makes the deburring and primer pocket cleaning easier.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 12:39pm
Varget is tough to find right now.  I happened across two 8 lb jugs up in Blue Ridge, GA just before Christmas.  I've now got about 35 lbs which should last me thru to next year.  I've gotten very good results with Varget in .303, .308 and .30-06.  Many swear by it in .223, though I've not tried it in that cartridge yet. 

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2020 at 11:30pm
With the different availability of powder's from country to country; it can get confusing when comparing our results. I've seen some of the comparison tables for burn rate; they can be helpful.
But my real problem is finding the time to test and reload.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 5:39am
Yes, that is true. 

For years, I used Alliant Re 15 in the .303's with the 174 grain Sierra Matchking; and it performs very well, meters thru my powder measure nicely too. 

I've got a bunch of Hornady 150's sitting on the shelf to try some day in my No. 4.  A few other bullets to experiment with some day.  

By the way, Varget (Varmit - Target) is the Hodgdon trade name for Australian made ADI AR2208.  The Hodgdon load data they post online comes from ADI.  Hodgdon H4895 is ADI AR2206H. 

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 8:21am
Useful info thanks.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2020 at 11:19am
I have been using Vectan powders since I started reloading. I started with Tubal 3000; which had been recommended by the Armoury. I had quite good results but felt it was quite hard on the shoulder; a bit too fast when compared to other makes of powder recommended for the .303. So then I went for the Tubal 5000. This was much nicer to shoot and gave reasonably good results in the No1MkIII*. however I did not finalise the best load for the No4. I found it did not dose very well from the Dillon doser on my rig. So I also have been using SP7 powder, which doses better and shoots quite well.
i have been told by many shooter's here that the Vihtavouri N140 is the best for .303. It's not available at my regular Armoury but I have finally bought some to test. I will be testing this soon.
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 1:41am
Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

I've now got about 35 lbs which should last me thru to next year.   
Geez Britrfles.....35lb of powder for just one year???!!
That makes 35 x 7,000 gn= 245,000 gn of powder.....if you reload an average of 40 gn per round.....that makes...... 6,125 rounds you shoot per year!! That's what I call "practice"LOL
Am I about right??? God, I wish I could shoot that much.Smile

philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 1:47am
uploads/5708/Relative_powder_burning_rates_2018.pdf
On the same subject, this is what I have found....Some of those brands are visibly european

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 6:51am
Originally posted by philtno philtno wrote:

Originally posted by britrifles britrifles wrote:

I've now got about 35 lbs which should last me thru to next year.   
Geez Britrfles.....35lb of powder for just one year???!!
That makes 35 x 7,000 gn= 245,000 gn of powder.....if you reload an average of 40 gn per round.....that makes...... 6,125 rounds you shoot per year!! That's what I call "practice"LOL
Am I about right??? God, I wish I could shoot that much.Smile

Yes, that's about right.  I shoot about 150 rounds a week.  Right now, I'm only using Varget for .303 and .308, both at 40 grains.  For my .30-06 M1 Garand loads I use 47.0 gr. H4895. 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 6:55am
Don't rely on burning rate charts too much. Its a progressive burn so burn rate will vary with pressure generated.
Its handy as a rough guide, but thats about the limit of its purpose.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 12:10pm
The burn rate lists are interesting; seeing differences between the two proves that it's just a rough guideline.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2020 at 12:20pm
Yes they also don't tell how close to or far apart from each other they are. You may have 4 really close together & the next one a huge jump away.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic