Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Stuff for Enfields > Enfield Stuff for Sale *Must Have 20 Points to Post.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If it's got a T stamped on it

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If it's got a T stamped on it
    Posted: January 25 2020 at 8:06pm
 There is a person on eBay that has a few Enfield parts listed. Of all the parts he has,he has tripled the price on the pieces that have a T stamped on it because it came off of a sniper rifle according to him. In particular, he has a barrel with F54 stamped on it, a modern T stamped on the Knox form and right above  that,two broad arrows facing each other,(I know that means something). He had another No4 barrel listed for 40.00 but that thing is beat up,inside and out.
If you need your Enfield sniper rifle parts quota filled however, he's  your one stop shop...
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 8:26pm
Yup, there is vendor on there that has the word 'sniper' somewhere in every title line for all his bits of assorted stuff.

Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 4:54am
The most important part of a sniper system is the human. Goosic, the way you can shoot, I suspect you could make just about any rifle an "original" sniper.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 6:19am
I find it humorous looking through listings and seeing all these,"Sniper!" this and that stuff. And then to see the hefty price tag behind it. What makes a Sniper rifle a Sniper rifle. By definition:
sniper rifle is a high-precision rifle designed for sniper missions. It serves to fulfill the tactical need for long range surveillance, effective anti-personnel and anti-materiel operations with a high hit probability, and can be used by militarylaw enforcement and civilian militias. The modern sniper rifle is a portable shoulder-fired weapon system with a choice between bolt-action or semi-automatic action, fitted with a telescopic sight for extreme accuracy and chambered for a high-ballistic performance centerfire cartridge. I have at my disposal, a No4Mk1* with a No32Mk1 telescopic sighting system, "reproduction thereof ", a No4Mk1/2 with a 4-12×50 scope on it, and a No4Mk1/3 with a 6-24×50 scope with a 30mm main tube,it was also converted over to fire the 7.62mm NATO cartridge. Any guess as to which rifle is my "sniper" rifle? None of them.  Just because ePay seller has a bolt assembly with a T stamped on it, does not constitute it being a "sniper bolt",unless you can throw that thing with extreme accuracy at someone sitting the next city block over,and then it's still questionable. I get the gist of wanting a sniper rifle, a No4Mk1 (T) rifle to be exact. What I I don't get is someone willing to sell a rifle component under the guise of it being from a "sniper" rifle. And then someone willing to spend an outrageous amount of money for that part to make their rifle a "sniper" rifle because it now has a part that came off of a "sniper" rifle,according to the seller. 
My rant is this. If you have a bin of old rifle parts that you are wanting to part with,especially Enfield components.  List them as such without the rhetoric and without the hefty price tag.  Sorry. Its early and I didn't make coffee yet...
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 8:16am
Rant on, Goosic!! Rant on!!(Your ranting gets raves here!)

Methinks your not alone in thine thinking...But don't let it eat u up. As P.T.Barnum said: "Theres a sucker born every minute"
Loose wimmen tightened here
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 8:22am
Much the same exists in numismatic circles. The word 'rare' and 'scarce' are thrown around quite a lot, even for items not rare or scarce at all. Right Hoadie, P.T. Barnums' saying rings true even to this day.
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 8:55am
"two broad arrows facing each other,(I know that means something)".
"Sold Out Of Service", (released from military stores for sale to civilians). one broad arrow lets it in the second one "cancels" the first.

Its like "Tactical" it doesn't really have a meaning any more its been so abused & over used! Remember the "Tactical Sniper" slings a while back with the longer length & the anti-slip tabs?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 9:45am
 The funniest ones I've seen on eBay are from an individual who has a bunch of different knives and bayonets.  One of the listings is for a "Extremely rare and scarce Vietnam War Era U.S. military K-Bar fighting knife" You will not find one in better condition then this one $599.00. WTF??  
I have an Enfield rifle in full military dress with the added bonus of being fitted with a reproduction telescopic sighting system making this in essence an actual No4Mk1* T rifle. If it looks like a duck...
It will never be a snipers rifle unless I hand it off to an actual sniper and he operates it accordingly.  Until then it will remain a rifle with a scope on it. Is it rare and scarce? Hardly. 17 plus million of these bad boys have been circulated world wide. I stamped a T into the receiver at the 11 O'clock position above the ejector screw and I stamped a TR on the bottom of the butt socket near the rear trigger screw. I did this for aesthetics only and only for me. Did that make it a "Sniper Rifle" Nope. If I have anything I no longer need and I know it can go to someone else. I will never ever string it with  a word like "sniper". and I will never inflate the price as well. One's morals and sensibilities go out the door once ePay becomes involved. That and when the next up and coming Carlos Hathcock shows up needing that ultra rare and scarce brass buttplate for a No4Mk1 with that elusive T stamped into making it a sniper buttplate and the seller needs a hunert and fitty dollars for it...
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 4:02am
One of my rifles has a `T` stamped on it somewhere, woo-hoo I own a sniper for hunting snipes.
Am I correct when the precision enfield rifles were proofed, they used a Gothic `T`

Like most of us here I too loath fleabayer`s flaunting useless shyte as uber rare, probably because they`ve never seen one.
Mind you, there are deals out there if you`re patient, I missed out on a Martini Enfield in 303, excellent condition for under $1k, was already sold pending when I contacted the fellow, some day hopefully...
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 6:38am
If you think E Pay is bad go on some of the L-E sites on F/B. Its worth it for the amusement factor if nothing else!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 5:29am
Originally posted by shiloh shiloh wrote:

Am I correct when the precision enfield rifles were proofed, they used a Gothic `T`

Close - after proving every rifle went thru the firing process to ensue the bullet went where it should, a further % were tested at longer range, and then a % of those were tested at even longer range.

The ones that showed good accuracy and consistency were marked with the T (to indicate POTENTIAL telescope rifle)

Nothing to do with proof.

SMLE TESTING
For the SMLE All rifles were tested for accuracy by the Small Arms Inspection Department at 100ft, and 10% were also tested at 600 yds. All rifles were fired from a special mechanical rest, known as an Enfield Rest, and a special Telescope layer was used for laying an aim. The Enfield Rest was designed to simulate the conditions under which a rifle would be held when fired from the shoulder, and was provided with hand wheel adjustments for laying an aim. Trial shots were first fired and, if necessary the foresight was adjusted laterally, or replaced by one of a different height, until the shots on the target were within the required limits. Five rounds were then fired, and four of the five shots had to be contained in a rectangle 1 inch broad by 1½ in high. Rifle which failed this test were rejected. At 600 yds 10 shots were fired, nine of which had to fall within a 2 foot circle.

No 4 RIFLE TESTING
For the No 4 Rifle, the accuracy test was the same at 100ft ten per cent of all rifles were then fired at 200 yds when six of seven shots had to fall in a rectangle 6in x 6in , the point of mean impact having to be within 3 inches of the point of aim in any direction. Ten per cent of rifles fired at 200 yds were again fired at 600 yds when 6 out of seven shots had to be in a rectangle 18 inches x 18 inches the permissible deviation of point of mean impact being 9 inches up or down, or left or right. Two per cent of rifles were fired from the shoulder, ten rounds being fed into the magazine by charger and fired rapid to test “feeding up” and ejection. After these tests the barrel was inspected to ensure that there was no expansion in the bore or chamber and that it shaded correctly from end to end. (Was not bent)
Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 9:01am
Great information, The Armourer!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2020 at 10:54am
Meant to say prooved, then proofed with the marks.
Good article.
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 2:13pm
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Cretien, a previous Canadian prime minister.

And no, I dont know WTF he meant either!
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 2:33pm
LOL
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 2:42pm
Chretian is one of my most disliked PM's we've had in Canada. Trudeau and Trudeau 2.0 top the list.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic