Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Happy 'Stralia Day to our mates.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Happy 'Stralia Day to our mates.
    Posted: January 26 2020 at 8:47am
https://www.viber.com/app/uploads/Australia-Blog.png
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

https://www.viber.com/app/uploads/Australia-Blog.png

I will drain a Fosters to support them.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 5:03pm
me too , havent had one in ages , 
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 6:29am
Toohey's New for this guy!
Loose wimmen tightened here
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 7:05am
When I was down in Kentucky at WKU gun-making course, I asked Hank from California if you could get VB down there.
He heard me wrong and said after a pause,.............. "I know how to cure it"  (!)

(VB...Victoria Bitter)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2020 at 5:16pm
yup - he heard ya wrong, ever wonder on what makes folks hear what they thought they hear insted of what you really said ? 
nope i dont want to know either , 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 8:57am
Its actually a diagnosed complaint!
Many people with hearing loss have developed an "auto translator", which takes what you ear actually processes & tries to make it fit something it understands. Sometimes with hilarious mistakes!
You could say:
"I'm going off to Church now"
But the ear hears:
"I've mumble of to mutter row"

Which is gibberish, so it tries to "make it fit", resulting in:
"I have a gong in the lurch cow"!
Its funny as long as you don't actually suffer from it.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 12:27pm
Imagine...all over "Down Under" the lads are in the pubs (or Returned Service League) playing rousing games of TWO-UP
Loose wimmen tightened here
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Shamu Shamu wrote:

Its actually a diagnosed complaint!
Many people with hearing loss have developed an "auto translator", which takes what you ear actually processes & tries to make it fit something it understands. Sometimes with hilarious mistakes!
You could say:
"I'm going off to Church now"
But the ear hears:
"I've mumble of to mutter row"

Which is gibberish, so it tries to "make it fit", resulting in:
"I have a gong in the lurch cow"!
Its funny as long as you don't actually suffer from it.
I have that issue Shamu. My kids and the girlfriend will purposely talk real softly facing away from me and wait for me to say what it was I thought I heard them say. 
Girlfriend: I'm going to take a shower. Where's my towel?
What I heard: I'm going to rake chowder. Wheres the trowel?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 1:33pm
O Gawd! I'd forgotten that.
I remember the "Nod the potato from the forehead into the funnel" game "Spuddies" IIRC. PigAngryCensored

For the uninitiated:
You convince the mark its a gambling game! You balance a potato on your forehead (which makes you look up) & there's a big funnel shoved in the waistband of your trousers. you have to keep it up for 30 seconds then "nod it off" & catch it in the funnel. The "players" all put down money & if you can do it you pick up all the winnings"

What actually happens is several beers or ice water are poured into the funnel while you're staring at the ceiling.
ShockedOuch
Some of the most fun days of my life were sharing a house with a Saffer & an Aussie! we had convos no-one else could follow! My accent is STILL a walking disaster area from those years!

smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 3:06pm
hey guys as a Aussie who lives here in USA , I take up bridge to the fosters reference . There would be a cold day in he!! a Aussie would drink that piss water . We would of had a bundy and coke or a cold VB ,XXXX, Melbourne bitter , etc foster is purely a export only beer .any how happy 232 Nd birthday to modern day Australia . And we should remember the oldest continuos inhabitants in the world at 60000 yrs the aboriginal brothers and sisters who suffered under what was British rule .
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by smerdon42 smerdon42 wrote:

There would be a cold day in he!! a Aussie would drink that piss water ....foster is purely a export only beer
Same here.....as a Belgian living in New Zealand (the country the Ozzies are taking rugby lessons from since God knows when LOL) I hate it when people refer to the Stella Artois as being "the" reference of the Belgian beer.  In Belgium, Stella Artois is the plain flat lagger you're served in the sh*ttiest pub in Belgium.....the only thing that's worse is the Cara Pils..but still, you pay the pint of Stella Artois something like NZ$12 in a pub in NZ.... 
This being said, Happy Anniversary Australia, our fellows from across the ditch Wink
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 6:44am
Stella is horrible.
When I lived 11km from the Belgian border it was "La Meuse" never Stella, & the craft beers were way better!

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 8:07am
My nephew gave me a 12 pak of Stella for mounting a scope on his Remington... I'll save it for company. It's all in the advertising. I'm sure a lot of our US friends have heard of Molsons beer. I haven't seen anyone I know buy that beer since we were hanging outside of vendors asking people to "pull" beer for us in the early '70's.
smerdon42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smerdon42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 4:29pm
yeah guys the export beer is bad but the local brews are better , I found a brew at home from little creatures called furphy great easy drinking Pilsner . Great name as we Aussie’s have a slang term for the word furphy as they where water tanks the diggers got water from in ww1 so a lot of scuttlebutt was discussed around the water tank . We use the word furphy when we think it’s bullsh*t . Little bit of ANZAC history on gallipoli
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic