Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magazine Follower Too Long

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 105GunGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magazine Follower Too Long
    Posted: February 08 2020 at 10:25am
I am new to Enfield rifles so this will be the first of MANY new questions about a recently acquired No 4, Mk 1.

The magazine follower would appear to be to long for the magazine.  When I first got the rifle I loaded 5 dummy rounds.  The first 2 loaded fine, then the follower hung up.  I have disassembled the mag and cleaned the follower.  I polished all the mating surfaces.  Now it won’t depress enough to even load a round.  The original serial number has been X’d out and replaced by a number that matches serial number of rifle.
105GunGrunt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 105GunGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2020 at 9:03pm
Just to follow up on the original post - if the follower comes up at an angle so the front of the follower rides up and over the front of the magazine box all is ok.  If, however, the follower comes up level then it jams in the magazine and won’t go up or down.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 4:18am
It sounds to me like your magazine is bent in on the side. That's what my first thought is since it binds up the follower so bad when coming up level.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 4:25am
 The follower should be at an angle tipping up as you described. It is longer than the magazine.  Make sure the front lip of the follower is angled as shown below.  

rewster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rewster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 6:25am
Great pics ! Thanks, britrifles !!!

regards....roger
The only time I ever said "no" to a drink was when I misunderstood the question.

Will Sinclair
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 7:15am
Might it be a No1 follower in a no4 magazine box?
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 6:33pm
if the box has been force matched to the rifle it would seem that would have been done at FTR and should be fine , these were not meant as interchangeable but were tuned to the rifle its fitted to , 

a bent box or misshaped follower could well be the result of after use and may need a fix , is it a full ten round box or was it refitted with a five round at sporting ? 
105GunGrunt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 105GunGrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2020 at 9:09pm
First, thanks to all that responded.  With your help I discovered I have a lot to learn about Enfield No 4s (1903s and M1917s load much easier) and I might have a weak magazine spring.

From YouTube I learned about the benefits of polishing the inside of the charger.  Works wonders!  I also learned to push down as far back on the cartridge as possible so that I forced the rear of the follower to angle downward.  Last I learned to check that the bullet of the last cartridge loaded was caught under the forward lip of the magazine.

As to the possible weak magazine spring, I found that if I first loaded 4 SnapCap dummy rounds before loading 5 live rounds via the charger I had no problems at all with the rounds jumping in position for the bolt to catch the next round.

Again, thanks to all that responded.  Off to my next issue - headspace.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic