Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Longbranch No4 Mk1*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2020 at 7:20am
It may shoot better with a good forend properly fitted (4 lbs pressure at the muzzle).  

Watch for copper build up, the rough bore will strip copper jacket material.  A good scouring with JB bore paste (using a Parker Hale style jag and patch) and clean that out with Kroil, and repeat, might improve things. 

Eagle1ohio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eagle1ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 7:14am
I am a competitive shooter, spoiled by the accuracy of a couple of bolt action surplus rifles I have.  That said I’m not thinking this particular piece will be something I’d shoot in a match for anything but S&Gs.  If when I’m done with the restoration it will hold minute of Pie plate at 100 yards that’s okay.  So I’m in the process to maximize whatever potential is left and hopefully restore its original configuration.

More work on the bore is in order.  Last time I looked at Numrich they didn’t have any fore stocks but that might have changed.  Plenty of handguards and metal.

As before, any and all suggestions and pointers are welcome.

Thanks!

Earl 
303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 6:58pm
If you are still looking for a lower forestock, Prestigious Wood Stocks here in Canada is making them.
And if I haven't done so already, Welcome.
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eagle1ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 7:35pm
Thanks 303 Hunter!  Any issues with shipping to the US?
303 Hunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 1:09pm
I don’t think so, they advertise free shipping in North America.
I believe that Bear43 has bought some stocks from them.
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eagle1ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 5:52pm
I got the forestock and hand guards today from Numrich and they look like they are unissued.  I’ll post some pictures and will need some advice fitting them to the receiver.  Much nicer than I was expecting.  No metal strap in the back with the brass pin holding it in and I’ll probably end up salvaging the one from the spotter stock unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Earl

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eagle1ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 7:05pm
After finding a video it now appears I have a Mk2 fore end.  What is the best way to trim the bearing surfaces that engage the receiver lugs that the sear pivots on?  It’s very tight side to side and I don’t want to trim that at all but the length of the lug is longer that the inlet of the stock.

Earl 
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 12:13am
Originally posted by . . wrote:

After finding a video it now appears I have a Mk2 fore end.  What is the best way to trim the bearing surfaces that engage the receiver lugs that the sear pivots on?  It’s very tight side to side and I don’t want to trim that at all but the length of the lug is longer that the inlet of the stock.

Earl 

If indeed you do have a Mk2 forend you will have some wood 'missing' and will need to splice the part in between the two sides at the rear behind the draws. It is not needed on the MK2 as the trigger group takes up the space, but on a Mk1 (using MK2 wood) you could split the wood by over tightening the cross bolt.

The part marked in 'yellow' will be missing on a MK2 forend.

(Click to enlarge)

Pendiner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pendiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 3:01pm
I’m picking Up a Longbranch No4 next week from my local RFD that I have bought off the Internet. I know that it is a risky thing to do but I was getting desperate to find one at a reasonable price. I will post details of what aim end up with - whether good or bad in order to share the experience. 
Fingered crossed it won’t be a disaster.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 7:16pm
it all depends on how well you want it to shoot and how original you want it to be in the end , they were not designed to be tack drivers , they were meant to be minute of man , they were battle rifles 

yes you can fine tune and reassemble to accuracy , its all what you want your rifle to be , there are some that need to be shooters and some that need to be collectors , seldom do these meet in the middle , the changes are not how the factory made them save a few that were accidentally that good , and those are marked in service as such 

but again its what you want and need and what your willing to do , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eagle1ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 7:53am
Here’s the restoration of my 1950 Longbranch No.4 Mk1*.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eagle1ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 8:06am
Mk2 forestock took quite a bit of hand fitting and I’m still not sure if I’m done yet.  8 coats of BLO and it still looks like it could use more.  Used lower hand guard, NOS birch or beech upper hand guard.  Metal from Apex.  Hand made a cherry wedge to bolster the cut at the rear of the forestock, brass machine screw to lock it in after gluing.  

First load I tried after assembly was 174 SMK over IMR 4895 in a new Win case held the 9 ring in on an SR-1 target at 100 yards. Haven’t taken it to 200 yet.  The bore looks better and more defined rifling the more I shoot it.  30 rounds so far.
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 1:37pm
Were you able to get some up pressure on the barrel at the muzzle from the forend?  Usually necessary to shoot well.  

If your a competitive shooter, the CMP Games Matches are a lot of fun.  A good shooting No. 4 will turn some heads, most people don’t realize how accurate a properly set up No. 4 rifle can be.

At the Vintage Military Rifle match I shot at last month, I shot 100-5x in prone slow with my LB No. 4. Mk 1/3.  That rifle will probably hold the X ring on the SR target in the hands of a very good shooter (someone better than me). 

Here is how I measure barrel pressure on the forend muzzle bearing.  .003 thick Aluminum shim stock under barrel at muzzle bearing (thick paper is OK too) and trigger weight scale pulling down on barrel.  I want to get 4 to 6 lbs pressure at the point the I can pull the shim stock free with light pressure. 

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 2:59pm
The usual regimen is:
"a coat a day for a week
A coat a week for a month
A coat a month for a year
& coat a week for life"
The reason for slowing down the process as it goes on is to allow the successive coats to penetrate & dry before adding the next one.
it looking "patchy", some bits look done some not?
That (believe it or not) is a good thing, it means where the grain patterns differ some are finished, & some not quite.
No not be tempted to clean up & start over to fix your "mistake"!
You haven't made one its just not quite "done" keep going.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic