Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Off Topic > OT Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

reloading 223 shot from semi-auto

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reloading 223 shot from semi-auto
    Posted: February 09 2020 at 2:09pm
Hi Guys, 
I need your experts' advice here.
I'm planning on maybe buying a 223 bolt action new and also plan on reloading that cartridge.
I see a few comments related to what used brass were fired from, semi-auto or bolt action...and it seems to be a decision factor. 
So my question is : what's the deal reloading previously shot 223 from a semi-auto for a bolt action rifle.
Thanks
Philtno

britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 2:24pm
No issues at all, just FL resize the brass so it will chamber in your bolt gun. 

Brass fired from a full auto machine gun can be problematic.  Machine guns tend to have enlarged chambers to ensure reliable function.  I’d stay away from that brass as it may have been severely strained. 
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 3:02pm
here in NZ the only brass from full auto wapons will be ex NZ army stuff.
I have reloaded used semi auto brass fine just as Britrifles mentioned. as long as full length resized.
Not that we are allowed semi autos in 223 here now.....
Be wary of ex military brass (mainly ADI) as it has thicker case walls & hence less case volume.
Sidneyw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sidneyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 7:38pm
I stopped reloading 223 after the ammo price drop.  When I did, years ago I used Lake City once fired brass (they have them for cheap online nowadays) 25-26 gr W748, 55 gr projectiles. Many other powders to choose from. Magnum small rifle primers for my AR15s. 
Sidney
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 7:41pm
follow the advice above - you should have no issues other than a little more effort on those fired in more generous chambers , do you have a supply or source of FA cases ? 
Sidneyw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sidneyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 8:36pm
We all read about 5.56 and .223 case difference in wall thickness; if it does it isn't much unless you go for max load. I resize 5.56 and .223 full size every time. 308 and 7.62x51, which I reload also, but the wall thickness in the large case means more than in 5.56/.223.
Sidney
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

follow the advice above - you should have no issues other than a little more effort on those fired in more generous chambers , do you have a supply or source of FA cases ? 
By FA cases do you mean Full Auto?? no, I just read what Marco wrote about full auto cases...
All I was wondering is "is it safe to collect 223 brass shot with semi-auto, reload them and shoot them in a bolt action.  My understanding of you guys' replies is that there shouldn't be any issue.  Please correct me if I'm wrong. Smile

philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Marco1010 Marco1010 wrote:

here in NZ the only brass from full auto wapons will be ex NZ army stuff.
I have reloaded used semi auto brass fine just as Britrifles mentioned. as long as full length resized.
Not that we are allowed semi autos in 223 here now.....
Be wary of ex military brass (mainly ADI) as it has thicker case walls & hence less case volume.
Thanks for that, Marco.
I don't intend to get some ex-military brass....just anticipate my purchase (i'm looking at a Savage 110 Scout in 223) and looking for the odd (but quite numerous though) 223 cases for sale on Trademe.  Price varies quite a lot based on who sells them.....hence me wondering if the fact that some of them might have been fired off a semi-auto (before the ban, of course Tongue) would make them less valuable/prone to problems if reused with a bolt rifle.
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2020 at 10:34pm
Hi Philtno

Will catch and give you some 223 ammo to use up, then you can reload it again...... don't rush to buy dies etc just yet as I was going to sell mine soon so I can concentrate on 308 win and 303.
223 a bit lightweight for the deer we have in our part of the world, but great for goats & hares.
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 1:11am
Cool!!!
Thanks Marco Thumbs Up
I first need to buy a good 223 with decent iron sights  Smile
Apart from the Ruger Gunsite Scout and the Savage 110 Scout I don't know any other option I could look at.  The Ruger seems to be a bit on the high side pricewise though....still waiting for a quote from the local gun store here in Blenheim for the savage...
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 12:46pm
I use federal for my AR, and save some to reload for my Ruger No3 falling block.
Working fine so far.
Fl sizing with 3031powder and 68gr bthp bullets, coyote's luv em. ;)
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 1:42pm
Thanks, Shiloh Thumbs Up
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 1:53pm
Philtno

there is a huge range of options:

budget end: Break open single shots from Baikal at $500
Norinco JW 105 $500
options in single shot or lever action from Henry.
Howa 1500 or Remington 700 ADl all around the $1100 range
Mossberg MVP at $1500.

The Norinco JW 105 is perfectly functional, a knock off of the CZ model.
I have one in 7.62 x 39 works fine.

Personally I would go for something in 243 as this has just that bit more grunt projectile wise in case a decent Red Deer steps in front of you by accident.

223 will do it, but shot placment is critical, otherwise a deer will run and run. No fun tracking a dying animal in the NZ bush.
philtno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philtno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 2:42pm
Thanks for that, Marco, that's great info Thumbs Up
Yes, I looked at the Baikals and Norincos but that ended up being lower in my list of preferences (although I have a .22LR from Norinco that shoots beautifully).
The Howa is definitely an option but they don't seem to make them with good iron sights.  You have to modify the gun and that costs you an arm and a leg.
What I like with the Savage and the Ruger is the fact that those have the aperture-type of rear sight which I really like.  I looked at after market aperture sight that could be put on the Howa or the Remington but the cost of the sights themselves is prohibitive.
Regarding the caliber I believe you 100 % as you certainly know more than I do about hunting...I'm not a hunter.....just a plinker LOL
And yes, if you hunt, you must do it in an ethical and respectful way.

Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 4:21pm
I'm hearing you about being more into plinking.
I would look at the Mossberg MVP Patrol rifle , good mid range pricing , comes with quite nice set of iron sights, rear sight being elevation and windage adjustable. muzzle treaded for suppressor / muzzle brake options.

Even looks quite cool in a tactical style.....which always helps.

Almost tempted to get one myself to replace the departed semi auto, but have already spent the amnesty buy back money on more Lee Enfields.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2020 at 5:30pm
correct - no problem , its just a resizing comment we were addressing 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic