Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tighter then a__________________???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tighter then a__________________???
    Posted: March 18 2020 at 11:44am
The range was not viable for this test due to the coronavirus situation. 
I drove out to the desert,paced out 303 feet on purpose.  Just over 100 yards according to the scopes side focus. Set up the chronograph five feet in front of the rifle,laid down prone and sent a cold bore shot up hill. It hit just right of center. Loaded the magazine and got busy. 2241,2237,2273,2239,2267,2252,2248,2231,2245,and 2240 fps respectively.  There was a very light drizzling rain with a 7 mph crosswind. Just over a 3/4" squared ten shot group with the custom handloads of 39.5 grains of Norma 202 and the CCI BR-2 primers and topped with the Hornady 174grn BTHP GRAF bullets...
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2020 at 12:19pm
Now thats impressive!! Good looking rifle, as well (Shame bout yer hair, tho)
Loose wimmen tightened here
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2020 at 12:44pm
There is a legitimate reason for the hair that short. I used to drive semis over the road and finally got tired of having to comb my hair everytime I woke up in the truck and only being able to shower every other day and wearing those trucker hats. I was in El Paso at a full service truck stop and the barber said I'd look good with a quarter pounder flat top.  Never looked back and now my ex father in law that owns a barber shop keeps it short every three weeks now...
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2020 at 1:08pm
Goosic. Same lid adjustment for this ex-army brat. Lived most of it on the prairie base ... Mom said we had to look like Dad (plus it was easier to spot the ticks!)
hoadie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoadie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2020 at 1:31pm
well, here I was thinkin it was a solar panel for a sex machine! Huh! Who knew??
Loose wimmen tightened here
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2020 at 3:43pm
 Outstanding Goosic.  Do you think these loads shoot better than your standard load with 40.0 gr of 202 and magnum primer?  

The center to center extreme spread would be about 0.70 inches.  That’s on par with my best 10 shot group with my Fulton No. 4.  My next best was 0.75 inches.  

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2020 at 4:24pm
britrifles.  The center to center horizontal spread is 0.573" and my center to center vertical spread is 0.646" my daughter said the rounds fired sounded crisper.  She fired 25 rounds though it herself and we both agree that the  felt recoil was substantially less then before. The barrel never got unbearably hot as well during the testing. My take on this is that the accuracy shown is a combination of the shooter,the handloads,and the setup of the rifle itself. The average fps was 2247.3.
Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 12:34pm
Great shooting!  (Both of you).

Happy to see your No.4 likes Hornady 174grn BTHP GRAF bullets.  I have some on the way and hope to see what the combination of my mole-sharp eyes and the iron sights can do.
Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 1:22pm
Between what me and britrifles are doing.,(he is doing this strictly through the original battle sight or a Parker Hale target sight.) These are not  your atypical shots. 
Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 7:33pm
Used to was I could do such thing at 100 yards with surplus rifles, iron sights and old corrosive surplus ammo.  I have cataracts older than Netflix now and . . . not so much.

Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 10:10pm
This is a better example of my ten shot group. A big ass scope had alot to do with assisting me...
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 3:18am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

There is a legitimate reason for the hair that short. I used to drive semis over the road and finally got tired of having to comb my hair everytime I woke up in the truck and only being able to shower every other day and wearing those trucker hats. I was in El Paso at a full service truck stop and the barber said I'd look good with a quarter pounder flat top.  Never looked back and now my ex father in law that owns a barber shop keeps it short every three weeks now...

Two takes on that type of hairdo, which I share by the way.....
(1) Grass doesn't grow on a busy street.

(2) There is no point in thatching an empty barn.

Take your choice. Ermm
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Pukka Bundook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pukka Bundook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 8:17am
Stan,

In Yorkshire we had two sayings, "You can't grow hair and brains as well".

And, like yours, "An empty barn don't need thatching".

Yes, take your pick!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 8:58am
Grass doesn't grow on a busy street. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 9:12am
I still have my hair, a might bit gray, and not as thick as it once was.

My brothers can get their hair cut with their hat on.

Know idea how it happen.

They eats lots of beer and I do not.

Who knows?

Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Pukka Bundook Pukka Bundook wrote:

Stan,

In Yorkshire we had two sayings, "You can't grow hair and brains as well".

And, like yours, "An empty barn don't need thatching".

Yes, take your pick!

Where in Yorkshire are you from. I avoid being a Yorkshireman by 4 miles. All of it deep water.

You know what they say... You can always tell a Yorkshireman , but not much.  Wink

Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic