Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Project .410's have arrived

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project .410's have arrived
    Posted: March 20 2020 at 1:16pm
I ordered these from Century Arms. 3 of them came from the Fair/Poor category and 2 from the Poor category. They are really greasy and filthy so I won't really know what I have for sure until I get some cleaning done. I did look at years and makers and this is what I have, from top to bottom:

1917 LSA
1907 BSA
1915 BSA
1916 LSA
1918 Ishapore

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 1:55pm
I would luv one of those! I know nothing about them. .410... single shot? Are they smoothbore? (Are they expensive?) Thanks!
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 2:23pm
Yes, they are single shot. The Indians bored them out and they are smooth bore, all look to have a conversion year of 1931. They use unnecked .303 brass to make the cartridges. As for cost, I got the Fair/Poor ones for $75/each and the Poor ones for $40/each. Hard to tell at the moment what the overall cost of getting a couple operational will be.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2020 at 4:35pm
yes , you should get something from that assortment , single shot smooth bore , most will be brit but check might have a US 410 in there by chance but i doubt it , i had both once upon a lifetime ago and they were fun , these will be great projects , enjoy , 
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 8:16pm
I have read about them but know nothing first hand.

Indian Police ?
Scrub a dub dub !

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 8:31pm
yes , indian - prison guards and riot control , the brits didnt want the nationals armed with the 303 i think , but thats just me being un-PC again , 
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 2:46am
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

yes , indian - prison guards and riot control , the brits didnt want the nationals armed with the 303 i think , but thats just me being un-PC again , 

That is correct. I had a fair few through my hands back in the day when I was dealing in classic guns.

They won't chamber comercial ammo but it easy to convert .303 cases.

Enjoy.

Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 7:54am
Yesterday I took apart the first one, the 1917 LSA. Very filthy and some rust under the wood that needs to be dealt with. However, after inspecting it all it's completely usable. The foreend and butt need a little work but not much. All it needs for parts is a bolt and hand guards, which I have already. So, right off the bat I have one that can be made to go boom again.
paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 8:10am
What are you going to clean the stocks with?
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 1:32pm
I am going to use mineral spirits. It takes a lot of elbow grease but won't mess with the old finish either. After an initial cleaning I will use a hair dryer to get any grease out. Linseed oil to finish when I get the needed repairs done.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 1:40pm
Thanks!
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
flatheadsal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatheadsal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 1:41pm
how many are missing bolts?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 1:47pm
Standard bolt correct?
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 2:12pm
Bear:
Try Murphy's oil soap!
Nowhere a vicious as mineral spirits, but it worked wonders on my SMLE from the La Brea Tar Pits!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 2:15pm
2 are missing bolts. Yes, they use the standard bolt.
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2020 at 5:47pm
looks like a fun project!  Any of them have volley sights?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic