Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lee Enfield .410

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lee Enfield .410
    Posted: March 21 2020 at 6:23am
I've heard of these but never really investigated them. I guess I always thought they shot the .410 shotshe!! but I was wrong again! I was thinking they'd be a pretty cool squirrel/rabbit gun but I have know idea of rarity or cost of one of these in Canada. I did read one article on how people "fire form" .303 brass to open it up, but that seemed fairly complicated. I've never even seen one in person.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 7:05am
While the original chamber is the typical size, some have been reamed out over the years to take the 3" shotshe!!. Once in a while you can come across original ammo but that is few and far between.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 9:41am
fire forming is an option but then you are loading the old brass shot she!! methods with the card over and sealed - if these have brit chambers you may have to , or ream the chamber to us shotshe!! dimensions - that might be easier in the long run 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 11:14am
There's a big blowing out of the neck & shoulder involved, so anneal & make extras some will split when fire forming but it can be done. These are for the single ball round, there was a similar one for the pellet load.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2020 at 8:28pm
if you can find some of that russian aluminum 410 that was out there for a while = wolf brand name , it would give you somethin to shoot in the mean time - i have some i think but i looked today and have not found it yet , ill look again tomorrow and let you know . its not great but it shoots , 

if you have brit chambers you will want to research fire form or a 410 ream , the latter is the least effort but costs are a thought as well as the efforts , the previous is effort intensive and deserves a lot of research to get it right , both rewarding in the end and an adventure - we all need those in life , you will enjoy either rout or both should you choose that path , 

these are fun , not the shotgun most think of tho , never again a rifle either , 

im hoping mine inspired the young collector shooter i donated them to to continue on the path he had started on when i gave them and my ishy 303 to him years ago , he showed a lot of promise as a very intelligent kid - learning and researching on his own at the time , a long time ago but seems like yesterday 
boiliebasher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boiliebasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 11:49am
This is an interesting topic!
I have had the pleasure of using and firing my mate's .410 MK3 SMLE.

I believe it was an Ishapore Rifle and these particular conversions were very poplular in the UK due to the different licences required for a "smoothbore" .410 shotgun and a real live.303 Rifle

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2020 at 5:35pm
most all of these were done at ishapore for indian use and sold out of service - surplussed out , there were some imported here to the US that were reamed out for commercial 410 ammo - but they all started life as a 310 blown out 303 at a tighter chamber and shorter overall length , 

that said either are fun , garner much comment at a range and are seldom efficient at clay targets but then that small bore clay target arena is a whole different realm 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic