Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LEE-SPEED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 303 Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 1:21pm
Reading these posts makes me want to start working on my II* metford but that will probably be a next year project. Question about the Lee Speed, what is the barrel lengthon it?
The Lee Enfield is to the Canadian north what the Winchester repeater was to the American west.   Cal Bablitz
Jimbobfred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbobfred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2020 at 6:29pm
Barrel is 24 1/2
JIM
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 9:31am
From what I can see with the second rifle, it is a BSA (inspector marking) made Sht.LE Mk.III, possibly a Mk.III* manufactured between 1910 and late 1940s (King George military proof). 
It has a replacement barrel at some time, probably a Canadian refurbishment post war. I don't see a serial number on the barrel, which was common for a Canadian refurb fitted barrel.

There is a Canadian Govt acceptance marking (C broad arrow) on the receiver, which was usually applied on their return to Canada post WWI. I don't see a matching marking on the barrel, so this again suggests to me a later Canadian refurb.
The bolt has a miss matched serial number I would expect. The bolt has a post 1954 Birmingham Nitro Proof stamp on the knob, so the bolt has been to the UK on another rifle. I dont see the Birm Nitro Proof on the barrel.

If there is no info on the right wrist, it has been scrubbed.

They all have a story.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbobfred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 1:06pm
Once again thank you very much. I've got my friends  teenage son who is interested in old military firearms and is looking for a project so I may give it to him.  Think I'll get him to do the research and then if he can outshoot me against the Lee-Speed then it's his.  Gotta continue the stories.
Thanks again

Jim 
JIM
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 3:07pm
I LOVE it! Brilliant idea. Make him WIN it so he'll value it.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbobfred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 7:07pm
Not a mark on the wrist.
JIM
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2020 at 9:12pm
i once gave a friends son rifles to work with , it made me feel good to help a young person interested in enfields , i would like to think it started him on a long journey with the rest of us , i hope he has stuck with it , 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic