New to me Ishy. Looking for info.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to me Ishy. Looking for info.
    Posted: April 01 2020 at 7:02pm
the russian 54R is a rimmed case the 762x51 is rimless , they are nothing alike at all , any more than either compare to a 303 , 

the rifle looks a fine example of these converted in resale rifles , i would enjoy it as is with all the precaution of the flash hider mentioned above , 
it is basically a sported rifle to a fantasy design , but they did it well and these are an accepted variant in the collector circles as are the santa fes and such sported military rifles that were commercially done , 
nothing wrong with enjoying that one just as you got it , it should shoot well and be lots of fun as well as a conversation piece at the range , 
G Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 12:26pm
Thanks for the replies guys.

Anybody want to buy a box of 7.62x54R SP?  Smile

The rifle appears to be in decent shape, just needs a little cleaning.  I have not shot it yet.

Good to know about the flash hider.  I'll keep an eye on it.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 7:54am
It looks like someone already moved it to the Ishapore page.
54R won't fit because its considerably longer. Which is a blessing because its also much higher pressure than the 7.62mm.
AS you discovered its a Faux No7 Indian Jungle Carbine, watch out for the flash hider, some were poorly made or fitted & went off down range, sometimes in pieces!
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 7:25am
The story that I heard is that after importing, many of these rifles were found to be cord worn from improper cleaning techniques with the pull through.  As they were they would be difficult to sell in such a worn state.
The solution was to lop off the front of the barrel removing the cord worn portion and thus restoring a crown. They added a repop flash hider to make them up into a faux experimental Mk.6 carbines. Not sure as to how they bedded them after that the front pad of the fore end and upward pressure was gone.

To my eye, an honest attempt, they got the concept, but it still needs a bit of tweaking to balance out the proportions of the fore end and hand guards. The genuine Mk.6s have the wood bobbed a bit more.

Great little carbine. How does it shoot?
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 7:00am
Yes. It is a Navy Arms rendition of a "Jungle Carbine" and yes,it is chambered for the 308/7.62×51. You have a very nice looking rifle...
Stanforth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanforth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2020 at 2:37am
The 7.62 X 54 (Russian) is a rimed cartridge and 7.62 NATO (.308 Winchester) is a rimless round therefore they will not interchange.
Life.. a sexually transmitted condition that is invariably fatal.
G Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 4:27pm
Damn!  1st real post and I already messed up!

Maybe a mod can move this to the Ishapore forum.  Please.
G Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2020 at 4:16pm
OK, so it took me a little while to get settled in here and get some pics to post with my questions, but here goes...

I actually "inherited" this baby from my father when he passed.  It has been hiding away in a closet for some time now and I decided recently to get into this and start doing something other than working.

I have done a little research to determine (I think) this is a 1966 LE Ishapore 2A1.  It looks to be one of the Navy Arms "rebuilds" based on the marking on the barrel and the flash guard on the muzzle.  It has the 800M rear site and the "squared" magazine as well as a cleanin kit chamber in the stock.

I believe this to be chambered for 7.62 x 51 NATO rounds.  I have some 7.62 x 54R rounds that I'm wondering if they can be fired from this.  I know the bullet size on those is 7.9mm vs the 7.8mm NATO bullet, so I'm thinking "no" is the answer to that question.

I'm ready to dig into this thing with some disassembly, inspection, and cleaning.  Any input from you guys will be appreciated.

Here are some pics:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic