Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1917 LSA 410 - Pic Heavy - Completed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1917 LSA 410 - Pic Heavy - Completed
    Posted: April 02 2020 at 5:20am
A couple weeks ago I got 5 of the Enfield 410 muskets from Century Arms. I have only taken this one apart so far. This 1917 LSA was converted to a 410 in 1931 by Ishapore. This is one of the Poor/Incomplete condition ones. The handguards were gone, as was the bolt. Everything else is there. It was a job getting it apart as some of the screws were seized in. It took a lot of penetrating oil and force but nothing broke, thankfully. I took pictures of the worst of the rust on it. The butt has a crack that needs attention and the screw holes for the butt plate were rotted but it is fixable. The foreend is in really good shape. Internally it is fine. Externally the worst damage was from when I removed the nut for the rear sight protector. The nut was rusted to the wood and took a piece with it. Nothing major though. I have a bolt and handguards for it so this one will be back in action again. Enjoy the pictures.

Canuck View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 8:07am
Good project for you!
Castles made of sand slip into the sea.....eventually
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 9:24am
looks well on its way with a good basis to work with , keep us posted on progress , 
flatheadsal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatheadsal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 10:44am
just curious why you didn't start with one of the better ones, building up with parts from the worse ones if needed? nice projects though good luck
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 10:55am
They are all in similar condition, I just grabbed the first one off the pile. I have yet to take the other 4 apart.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 5:57pm
Tonight I started cleaning on the LSA. I took Shamu's advice and scrubbed the butt with Murphy's Oil Soap. I mixed it rather heavy and put some elbow grease into it. I like how it ended up. It is still dark but the grease and grime are gone. There are several repair dowels and I think a couple may be for dealing with that nasty crack. I'll look closer later but the butt is definitely salvageable.

Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 8:11pm
it looks intact , i think you can save it , 
Marco1010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marco1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 12:23am
I must say you are determined to bring these rifles back to something respectable ! but they sure do look like they have seen decades of hard use.
I guess these were originally used a bit like the Greener police shotguns that were sold to egypt. designed to be unattractive to steal due to being single shot and using a cartridge that would be near impossible to source.
I have only seen one of these myself and it was in very good condition, but rebored to use the .410 standard shotshe!!.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 8:43am
I do enjoy projects, I find working on them relaxing. Plus the sense of achievement when you get one done is pretty satisfying. These have certainly seen better days and hopefully they will see many more once I'm done with them. Once I get them all cleaned up and operational I do plan to get 1 or 2 reamed out to take the 3" she!! and leave the rest as is.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 5:31am
Slowly I have been working on the bits for the LSA. I took the small parts and after soaking them in penetrating oil for a week I put them in a pot and boiled them for an hour. Now I am working through them using lots of oil and 0000 steel wool to clean them up. They are coming out pretty nice in my opinion.

paddyofurniture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 5:51am
Very nice.

I had no idea about boiling parts to clean them.

Very cool.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 6:03am
It's a great way to get the nasty old grease off or at least softened up. I started doing that when the Yugo SKS's were hitting the country to get the cosmoline off the small parts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 6:38am
Learned something new today, just do not tell Hoadie.
Always looking for military manuals, Dodge M37 items,books on Berlin Germany, old atlases ( before 1946) , military maps of Scotland. English and Canadian gun parts.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 8:00am
i would say that is working really well , parts look like they are in pretty good condition under the crud , 
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 9:37am
Good job.

Another bonus from boiling parts to clean them up is that any red rust on them will turn black.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddyofurniture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2020 at 9:43am
I am learning to much today.

Running out of memory space.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic