Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Gunsmithing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So now it begins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So now it begins
    Posted: April 02 2020 at 4:21pm
............Dead............
Spent a good part of the day looking under things and behind things looking for wood. Still missing sets and single pieces like upper wood and complete wood sets but I know they are there.

Found the original butt for the #4T. Wink Numbered to the receiver too.

There will have to be a massive channeling dig for the 7.62X51 barrel. New it was coming but still.Angry

The knox form is enormous and and I don't think any top wood will fit.

I think I will start with the 1945 T first as I have the most original parts. SME PLACE ?

Now I have look for the boxes of metal bits and 7.62 magazines.
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 6:42pm
fun project , i look forward to seeing it progress , 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2020 at 7:10pm
That 7.62 barrel is stout.  Can’t wait to see how it shoots. 
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 11:00am
............Approve............

Well a partial fix was found for the 7.62 barrel. I found a box last night with a nice solid sport front stock with an enormous barrel channel and would only need a very small relief trim at the receiver ring and a butt pad installed.

The original plan was to use a new still in the paper wrap 1957 MkII stock set for this but before I start grinding on that I want to know how this rifle shoots.

I apologize for the back ground, my work bench is covered with 25 years worth on motorcycle junk and automotive crap. Another part of the spring cleaning that needs attention.

I will set this side and continue the search for hardware and magazines.

A bit of advice here I will never let anyone ever again sort my boxes of spare junk. Especially well meaning family.

Up date: Well I should have asked before commenting because when I did asked the Boss walked right to a coffee can with three complete sets of #4 upper hand guards.

Now back to digging in the cave.

Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2020 at 12:43pm
 If you happen to have a spare 7.62 mag for a No4 that you could part with,please PM me...
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2020 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

If you happen to have a spare 7.62 mag for a No4 that you could part with,please PM me...

Private message sent.

MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 11:28am
All the wood is accounted for now.

Fore stock could be a better match but the draws are very good and barreled action fits snug.
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 12:04pm
you do have inventory , good to have choices when entering projects , keep us up to date on progress , we love living vicariously through each others projects , 
Whitjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whitjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2020 at 5:52pm
Man, you have the Enfield Store!

How did you get the white relief on the numbers on metal parts?  White out? 

MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2020 at 5:30pm
Started the lay out today with the original wood and I have everything but the sheet metal ring that goes on the front of the receiver to hold the rear top wood to the receiver body. If anyone has a spare or even two as this is a two-fer restoration I will gladly pay you Tuesday. Wimpy joke from Popeye.

This one will get the 1945 #32 MkIII with new lenses by Peter Laidler and one of the last of Roger Payne's wonderful brackets I have been sitting on for ten years.

The new barrel is  thing of beauty, period correct never mounted before and clocked perfectly.

I would like to give  big call out to A square 10 for all the help, support and motivation he has been building up to this and some other things.
Now if I can just find the bag with the stock bolts and lock washers I put in some safe place it's onward and upward.

Cheers
...MJ...
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 4:32pm
On the road again !

Thank you to Brian for the quick reply and service beyond belief.

If I ever find the missing bag I will be fat in butt stock bolts.

Tomorrow will tell if we need some corking.
Goosic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Goosic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 5:30pm
I talked via email to Brian about a 7.62 barrel for one of my No4 rifles the other day. He does not have one. I would like one.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Goosic Goosic wrote:

I talked via email to Brian about a 7.62 barrel for one of my No4 rifles the other day. He does not have one. I would like one.

My 7.62 barrel originally came from Australia AXX I got it from a guy 12 years ago or more. He was a contractor/engineer  who worked for Enfield Lock in the 1960s . He had the whole test rifle and was going to convert it to 45/70 for his brother to hunt with in Montana. Met him a a range one day and he chatted me up about my #4 MkII and I made an offer for the barrel. I have seen a few people post they had several of the barrels in Australia with different codes than mine. I don't know if they can export a barrel today from down there. Things have changed and they consider the barrel to be the weapon.

I know it sounds crazy but I knew a guy with a barrel full of 9mm Radom VIS barrels and made the government pay his full value for each barrel like it was the whole pistol. He had over 1K barrels and got full value figuring it was his taxes paying for it so F them. True story  told to me by the the guy with the barrel of barrels at Bisley and a multi years Service Rifle champion who had to sell his pistol collection in the buy back program. The public never found out what it cost the UK and now Canada is on the same path. We all had a good laugh but it was scary to think about and the next night  few blocks from where I was staying in Balham, London two cab drivers a Pakistani and a Hindi had a shoot out with 9mm Browning service pistols at a can shake, one dead one crippled. Some much for crime stopping.

Shop some Australian gun forums and see what you can find. Going prices I have seen are $600+today. They use breaching up washers to clock the extractor cut but I had to have the barrel face trimmed and set back a few .000",I think I asked for a hand doing the barrel over a year ago.

Done for the day while I hunt by boxes for a period magazine in working order.

Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 6:36pm
Coming together nicely.  
Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 8:12pm
I just ran out of steam today. The proof will be at the range with a box of Greek HXP.

MJ11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJ11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 6:38am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic