Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PPU 174FMJ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PPU 174FMJ
    Posted: April 29 2020 at 9:41am
I finally got out to the range for the first time this year. Last fall, I had just received my No1 MkIII and only had one chance to site it in before the start of our deer season. It has a P-H site, and when I left the range I knew it was still shooting high at 50 yards. I set up today at 50 yards. I've sent Shamu a couple of pictures of the results. The top 3 shot grouping is where it was last fall. I adjusted down and the 2nd grouping is 5 shots. I adjusted once more and the final lower grouping is a 6 shot volley. Last group got a little loose but overall, it's a good start!
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2020 at 12:34pm
I should also mention it is a six inch bullseye.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 9:49am
Pats new pics:

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 2:51pm
Thanks Shamu! I was a nice range day. Speaking of which, Shamu, and any other members with No1's, and I know each rifle is different... what load works well in yours? 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2020 at 4:24pm
HT, good results.  This rifle has promise.  You will often find that groups do not enlarge proportional to the range.  The bullet will gain stability as it travels.  I’ve seen this myself comparing 100, 200, 300 and 600 yard 10 shot groups sizes.  Of course, you may find improvement with handloads and a match bullet.  

Can you describe the condition of the bore?

I know little about the No. 1 rifle, but I do know the barrel outer contour is smaller, and it’s tricky to get the forend fitting right to get maximum accuracy.  

Well done, and keep tinkering.  

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 6:19am
The bore is crisp and clean. My next step is to use the same projectile and go to the 100 yard bench. My goal is to tune the ammo to the rifle and once I can keep the majority of shots (8/10?) Inside of a 10" bull @ 100 yards, will feel for my level of proficiency will be quite acceptable.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 7:31am
Mine likes the heavier bullets 174 or 180 grainers. 39Gr of IMR 4895.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 11:57am
Thanks Shamu. I have about 20 of the PPU 174 FMJBT's left to try at @100 yds. On deck deck be 180 gr Sierra ProHunters with 36grs H4895. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 1:54pm
I need to try the PPU 174 FMJBT.  Grafs lists them at $0.28 each vs the 174 gr SMK HPBT at $0.38 each (500 count box).  That’s a big difference if you shoot a lot.  

Anyone done an accuracy comparison of these two bullets in their LE?  

The range being closed as saved me a lot of bullets, powder and primer.  I don’t really need more .311 or .312 bullets at the moment (have about 10,000 at home) which would last me 2 to 3 years.  When I started serious match shooting, the SMKs were about $100 per 500 count, now at $189, but usually buy on sale for $160ish.

Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 2:16pm
I actually have done a "head to head" test between the PPU 174 FMJBT and the Sierra 174 Matchkings out of the same rifle. Both were loaded to identical lengths and both had 36 grs H4895. Both were shot from a rest in my No4 Mk2 Sniper clone. It was over the course of last summer. In the end, I fired 50 rounds of each, in 10 shot volleys. In each case, the Sierra's groups were marginally tigher, but by maybe 1/4"? Not a big deal for me as it was still "minute of hand" but for someone trying to squeeze the absolute tightest groups with a well tuned rifle, might be an issue. Of course, this is just my experience between the two projectiles.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2020 at 2:56pm
Yes, I recall that now HT.  Next time I order from Grafs, I’m going to get some and test on the 200 yard range for score.  I would not be surprised if there is no discernible difference.  Now, at 600 yards, I’d bet the SMK to show its worth.  
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 8:26am
Morning gents (and ladies). This morning was cold and windy but I was determined to get my No1 out to the 100 yard range after seeing what it did at 50 yards. Besides, it's my birthday. I sent Shamu a picture of an eight shot group (no warm up shots) at an 8" target @ 100 yards. I think with a little playing around with projectiles, this rifle, like all of my others, will out perform me!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2020 at 7:35pm
congrats on the outings , ive worked at the range recently butt not gotten to shoot yet , expecting to remedy all that soon tho , signed up for trap league with friends today and rummaging thru gun bags for rifles and pistols tonight made me a bit more serious in regard to scheduling time , 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 7:32am
The Talladega range is opening back up next week, but all the CMP matches are cancelled including the Nationals at Perry.  I was looking forward to the D-Day match, it attracts a lot of shooters all over the country.

Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2020 at 7:40am
Pat's pics:

Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2020 at 1:38pm
My No1MkIII* prefers a lighter load than the no4 rifle. I'm currently testing and 38.6 grains of Vihta Vouri N140 powder seems to work well with the SMK174 grain bullets. I have also used SB 180 grain boat tails as well; which are much cheaper than SMK. They are quite good; but the weight of the bullets was not as regular as SMK. I bought 500 SB bullets and graded them into equal weight pack's.
To be honest; the biggest errors on my target's in probably me. Currently using only SMK 174 grains.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic