Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Enfields > Enfield Rifles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

muzzle question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: muzzle question
    Posted: May 17 2020 at 12:41pm
he!!o again my friends.  I have a No.4 Mk 1/2. It is a very good rifle but I noticed that the wood at the muzzle is resting slightly against the barrel on the right side. Please see photo. The muzzle does move up and to the left a little but not the right. Should I carefully remove some of the wood on the right so it also moves freely? Thank you for your suggestions. 
You can lead a horse to water but a bullet must be lead...
Donald303 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 12:50pm
Sorry guys. I tried several times to fix the word "he!!o" above but the post would not update. 
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 1:07pm
Handguards should not touch the barrel and allow upward movement of the barrel. Forend wood muzzle bearing should contact lower third of barrel, not the full height of the forend.  

Check that the metal nose cap (forend and upper handguard) is not touching the foresight protector.  
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 2:22pm
There should be tip concact over the bottom third of the barrel circumference, It should take 5~7 Lbs of force (use a trigger pull gauge) to move it.
Now you have to identify WHY it pushed to the side.
That problem may not be AT the tip though. That may be a symptom, not the disease.

Take the handguards off do you can access he barrel channel. Look inside them for any contact points (shiny or black ones). This means the handguards are contacting the barrel, which they shouldn't. With some moderately fine sandpaper wrapped round a dowel to mimic the barrel sand them down carefully.
Now reassemble & see if its fixed. If it is take it down oil lightly to re seal with Linseed & reassemble.

While you have it down slip a dollar bill under the barrel between it & the forend wood.
It should slide freely the length of the barrel from breech to muzzle & back. Except for 1 ~1/14" at the bottom center at the breech & a 1~1/12" section at the tip of the forend bottom dead center. If it doesn't remove the barreled action from the stock & do the same in the bottom 1/2 of the barrel channel,also. Sand those points also.
Huge gaps aren't needed, or wanted. a sheet or 2 of paper is plenty.
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Donald303 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 2:50pm
Thank you for your instructions. I will print and follow. There is also a video on Youtube that (I hope) also explains this but as I am not a Lee expert I can only hope it is adequate. I am not aware of anybody in this area who works on these so I appreciate the help. Except for this issue the rifle is beautiful. The only part that does not number match is the magazine which sports 7565A.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 4:27pm
Shamu gave a much more complete answer.  How does the rifle shoot? 
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 4:29pm
Second thought. (to try first?)
If the wood seems very "dry"
Get some real Raw Linseed Oil. Real, not the cheap home improvement store rubbish.
Take down the fore end & rub 2 or 3 light coats in, one a day, inside & out & let it sit for a couple of days.
Reassemble & see if the problem went away!
Old, dry wood shrinks & warps but re oiling it swells it back up again. If that doesn't work thy the above.

Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Donald303 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 5:58pm
Britrifles, if I remember correctly (it has been several months since shooting it) it initially printed slightly high and left. I believe on my second to last outing I had to ever so slightly move the foresight to the left. Functionally though, it is superb. It has a great barrel and bolt action is very smooth.

Shamu, I will see where I can find some linseed oil. My understanding is that the wood on these old rifles can indeed dry out and warp slightly over time. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 6:51pm
If the rifle groups well, I would not attempt any major surgery, other than application of some RLO or BLO.  Particularly if the draws and rear receiver bearings are good. 
Donald303 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2020 at 7:53pm
Britrifles, I agree totally. I will try to locate the said linseed oil. I would rather not do even any minor sanding if I don't have to. 
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 5:54am
Pure raw linseed oil.

Art store, it is called Stand Oil.

Health food store, it is called Flax Oil.
Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 6:39am
Yup! thats the stuff, but stand oil is actually boiled.
Donald303 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 8:49am
Englishman and Shamu, I have a pretty good health food store here in town. I will go by and take a look.  Only wish I had a good 100 yard range closer to home....
Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 10:12am
Originally posted by englishman_ca englishman_ca wrote:

Pure raw linseed oil.

Art store, it is called Stand Oil.

Health food store, it is called Flax Oil.

Are you sure?  "Stand Oil" is heat treated linseed oil.  It's aka "Boiled Linseed Oil".  Though boiled linseed oil usually has additional drying agents.

The other name for raw linseed oil is "cold-pressed" linseed oil.
Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
englishman_ca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote englishman_ca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 5:27pm
Cold pressed linseed oil is the best stuff if you can find it and is the most expensive. Again, a visit to the art store.

Stand oil is processed and is a little thicker, yes, but no driers added, it is pure.
 Maybe they do boil it in which case, I stand corrected.

Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!
Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2020 at 7:39pm

First round is on me.  Thumbs Up
Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic