Enfield-Rifles.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Reloading > Reloading .303 British
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Almost ready to start...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The Armourer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Armourer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Almost ready to start...
    Posted: May 27 2020 at 12:13am
Originally posted by A square 10 A square 10 wrote:

Bear , dont buy 3006 - there is a set of dies coming with the stuff im bringing you , a set of 303 as well as some other items i thought you needed ,  

Do you fancy a holiday in the UK ?
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 9:19pm
Oh man, A Square, that is awesome! Thanks a ton!
A square 10 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 7:39pm
Bear , dont buy 3006 - there is a set of dies coming with the stuff im bringing you , a set of 303 as well as some other items i thought you needed ,  
shiloh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shiloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 4:25pm
All i can say is, its fun, relaxing and fullfiling.
Shooting your own loads is rewarding to say the least.
I also thought about reloading 9mm, but the commercial stuff is cheap enough now to justify not to.
Lead from the front; eliminate all obstacles...
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 2:49pm
I will just stick with rifle calibers for now. I still need to pick up a set of dies for .30-06. Maybe eventually I would consider reloading for 9mm but that's pretty cheap and easy to get yet so I'm not sure on that.
Zed View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 12:21pm
Bear are you going to start reloading for other calibres as well?
.303 is a good place to start though.

If reloading for pistols such as .45ACP, you need to pay attention to the case volume. Depending on the type of powder used you can potentially get two doses of powder in one case! I use Vectan BA10 for .45ACP, and it only half fills the case. So need to be careful if your do it by hand and not on a rig such as the Dillon; that will automatically rotate the case to the next stage.
With the rifle loads the case is generally filled so if you accidentally start doubling up; you'll get powder all over the bench!
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
britrifles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote britrifles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 11:13am
I’ve never gotten those Sierra 180’s to shoot well at all, not in my Fulton No. 4 with BSA 5 groove barrel or in my Dad’s T which has a Long Branch C Mk 4 6 groove barrel; both shoot the 174 SMK very well.   Bullet selection is probably the most important part of reloading (next to the safety concerns of course).  Two groove barrels may be more tolerant to some bullets, three of the grooves were omitted from the standard 5 groove resulting in a large circumference at bore (not groove) diameter.  The 2 groove will even shoot .308 bullets well. 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 9:12am
I imagine that has happened a lot. I do plan to fine tune and keep good records to find what works best in each one.
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 8:55am
Bear. I don't shoot near as much as some on the forum, nor am I as proficient, but I'll tell you a little story that made me a believer in finding the right round for the rifle. I purchased a No4 Mk1 L42A1 clone (full length barrel in great Nick, .303). It looked like a real shooter. I took it to the range and at 100 yards shooting 180 gr Sierra Prohunters, could only manage about. 6" group. I repeated this process several times, same results. I use 150's in my Sporter and it is a wonderful rifle. I never thought to try 150's in this rifle. I did, and like magic, I can consistently get 2" groups using Hornady Spire points. All because of a bullet change. I wonder, over the years, how many people bought Lee Enfields, bought a box of factory 180 ammo, didn't group well and just wrote the rifle off?
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2020 at 8:14am
I didn't get to work on the bench over the weekend. Instead it was all family visits and a cookout. It was pretty nice to visit with my dad, stepmom and some friends. Now I can concentrate on this bench thing though. I am pretty excited on this. I really want to see the difference handloads will make in some of my rifles.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 8:28pm
nice setup , you keep it more orderly than i keep mine , i need to get better at that , 
Stumpkiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stumpkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2020 at 7:08pm
I have a small bench affixed to the wall studs in my basement with legs added for support.  To the left is a small multi-use surface I keep for case work or arrow fletching, etc.

Charlie P.

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A square 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 7:41pm
excellent on both the storage and the build to suite your comfort , you want to be able to operate safely and without discomfort , the dehumidifier will be critical for successful results , you are going to enjoy this experience , it will make you in control of your shooting as you have never felt before , some things in life give you that comfort but this one is so real that you will never regret it only expand it as you find the need , what a great adventure to be on , 
Bear43 View Drop Down
Special Member
Special Member
Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 8:42am
I plan to be standing at the bench so I have plans to build it high enough to be comfortable. Mine will have to go in the basement as my "gun room" is just too small for it. I already have a dehumidifier going down there and I will keep the powder and primers stored in the gun room until ready to use.
Shamu View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Logo Designer / Donating Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 7:41am
Mine isn't actually bolted down, its so flipping heavy its anchored by gravity!
That tends to happen when you have 1 1/2 sheets of 4'X8' 7-ply & a bunch of 2X4 glued & screwed into one unit!
Star
Don't shoot till you see the whites of their thighs. (Unofficial motto of the Royal Air Force)
Honkytonk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Honkytonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2020 at 5:40am
Both very nice loading stations. Yes, you can lift a bench off the floor on the upstroke on the press! I made sure the height was right so no strain on my back, and I like to stand up. Mind you, I have an old single stage press and routinely only work on 30-40 rounds at a time. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic